HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new deer rifle suggestions
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2021, 09:38 AM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

I just got back from a trip to the local; outdoor 100 yard rifle range, where I sighted in a couple of my "go-too", hunting rifles
I checked the zero on my browning BLR in caliber 450 marlin with its preferred load of a remington 405 grain bullet over 50 grains of IMR 3031,
and my ruger #1 in caliber 270 win with its speer 150 grain, over 53 grains of WW760 , both loads, use a federal 215 primer.
both rifles are sighted in to impact 3.5" high at 100 yards over a center hold on a 1/2" orange paste on dot,
this allows a very useful center of chest hold on any game out to about 250 yards without having to calculate anything,
and its very useful as I rarely have the opportunity or need to shoot at ranges exceeding 200 yards in the areas I hunt.
after using the bench and sandbags to verify the rifles zero was dead on, I spent a great deal of time and effort ,
carefully placing shots from a siting position with the sling resting my elbows inside my knees, as you might on a hunt.
sometimes with my harris bi-pod and at times without the 13.5"-27" bi-pod
Harris S-25C Bipod Sling Swivel Stud Mount 13-1/2 to 27 Kryptek (midwayusa.com)

the range officer stopped to chat, and he mentioned how rare it was to see anyone not using the bench to sight in his rifle.
I mentioned the extreme lack of concrete benches in the correct location when they are required in the field while hunting and we both had too laugh\
because most of the guys shooting those bragging size groups off the bench would be seriously challenged to hit a 6" orange dot at 100 yards.
if they were shooting from a rapidly acquired field position.
yeah, its rather interesting to see how much the group size increases once the bench is no longer used or available to steady the rifle,

in fact the guy on the next bench over though I was wrong, so I challenged him to a friendly bet,
of $5 that on the next relay ID place a 3" orange dot on the target backer, at 100 yards range,
and if he could hit it on his first shot using his rifle from a sitting position,
he had won, $5 from me, if not I won $5 from him
he was close but the sticky dot remained pristine and I got $5, so I purchased us three, people, (he, the range officer and I ) a couple cokes, out of the vending machine

Last edited by hardcastonly; 07-05-2021 at 09:48 AM.