HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new deer rifle suggestions
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2021, 04:00 PM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

MRBB said
"same as with Weatherby rifles
and in the 15-20 Weatherby rifles I have owned, I have NEVER owned one that shot very well, YES I know many that have tack drivers, I just was never able to BUY one of them and I TRIED for yrs, from german made to China to USA made one's!I just never had luck
and YES I DO STILL own some , but they don't be what I call very accurate rifles compared to others I have!
I'm just a bit curious, as to the accuracy standard, your using,
now I own several Weatherby rifles,
and find all of them to work rather well for the purpose intended.
admittedly they are not target rifles', they are not meant to be,
they are all calibers 340, 378 416 and 375 H&H and yes I bought and use them for hunting.
and of course everyone has some personal idea as to what constitutes an accurate rifle
and I'm certainly not a great shot, and I don't shoot targets much more than to zero rifles,
but I do handload and do hunt rather often,
keep in mind most Weatherby rifles are used for hunting larger game,
and at least in my mind a rifle that maintains a consistent zero is a valuable trait.
most if not all my Weatherby rifles will place three shots at 100 yards ,
in a 1"-1.3" circle off a solid bench rest at 100 yards from a cold barrel.
maybe because I handload and take the time to find what the rifle likes,
and yes I've used acu-glass to re-bed those rifles that I felt would have benefited from it.,
now admittedly you'll never win bench rest target competition's with groups like that
but there has never yet been a mule deer or elk that was walking away laughing at my inability to place a lethal shot.
yeah I use a bi-pod, and a sling, and I might never come close to wining some bench rest completion,
but the rifles are a very consistent and reasonably accurate tool used for hunting.
Yes I freely admit most of the game I shoot has been at under 300 yards and Ill pass on anything over 600 yards,
and just hold off until I get into range for a dead certain hit to the vitals.
with that level of accuracy If I do my part even at 600 yards the bullets impact within 4-5 inches of the intended point of impact,
and I doubt any deer or elk will notice a minor discrepancy here!

Last edited by hardcastonly; 02-27-2021 at 04:11 PM.