Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting blind question

Old 11-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Spike

Default Hunting blind question

Do you when hunting from a blind use grunt calls or rattle? The reason I ask is because I have heard stories of bucks running full speed up to the base of a tree that the hunter was in to investigate. So I don' t know that I would want a buck coming full speed into the blind with me.
I am planning on hunting out of a blind tomorrow morning and was just curious if I should try grunting/rattling or not.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2003, 12:10 PM

Default RE: Hunting blind question

Whatever works best!!! Just be ready for the action on all four sides.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:50 PM

When I hunt in my blind, I keep in mind that the deer can come in 360 degrees but you are mostly hunting 180 degrees. Therefore I situate myself with the least desirable hunting area to my back and the most favorable in front. Common sense. I rattle and grunt, but if you hear a deer coming in from the rear, stop everything and slowly turn so you can see behind you. Then it' s party time.

Good luck....

Tomster
Old 11-06-2003, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

It has been my experience that the biggest bucks come up on you from the " least desireable hunting area" behind you (LOL!) As for worrying about a buck running to your blind with you...I wouldnt fret too much...that' d be a good problem to have as far as I' m concerned!
Old 11-10-2003, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

I usually hunt from a ground blind, and got a buck this weekend using a grunt call. He came right at me, and I fired just as he turned to go around a tree (20 feet away). I like to use a natural blind.. so it would be pretty difficult for them to actually come right up to me, but I really dont think it would be a problem anyway. I plan to keep doing it the same way!