Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 question about hunting from a duck blind >

question about hunting from a duck blind

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

question about hunting from a duck blind

Old 11-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default question about hunting from a duck blind

What exactly is the code of ethics for shots when 2 or more people are in a blind? I refuse to hunt with some people now because they never wait for the shot call, and they shoot at ducks no matter where they are in relation to the blind. A few years ago I had a scary experience: A mallard drake snuck around our timber blind and was landing not 15 yards straight out from my end of the blind. I turned to fire, so did the guy I was hunting with. He has a ported patternmaster choke tube on his gun, and when he swung and pulled the trigger twice, that patternmaster was literally 5 inches from my ear. I have a feeling that I'm lucky to still have my hearing.

I say there's an ethic about not shooting across blinds like that, he swears that's a load of bull. What do y'all say?
Old 11-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: question about hunting from a duck blind

Absolutely! If two people are in the blind then I divide theshooting areainto two sections. If the birds are in my section then I shoot. If the birds are in his section he shoots. If I'm getting all of the shots then we'll switch up from time to time.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

I completely agree with you. The blind shoud be divided into sections based each shooters respective position. Also, and this is a biggie to me, guns with ported barrelsor barrels shorter than 26 inches shouldn't be used in a blind. The same thing happened to me this year on a dove shoot when a guy next to me on a hay bail nearly blew out my eardrums shooting a ported barrel. I moved down two hay bails after that.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:56 PM

Unfortunetly there are a lot of people that get excited and let safety go when the birds come in.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Spike

This may not go over to well with your hunting partners, but try only having 1 loaded gun. You can take turns using your own gun but never have more than 1 loaded gun in blind. Really cuts down on dangerous situation like you described.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't be hunting with them much longer. Kind of an unwritten rule that shouldn't have to be explained...just for safety's sake.Depending on deke set-ups and whether you're getting fly-downs or fly-bys, have a set agreement on 1/2 on 1 side and 1/2 takes the other with no shots to the other guys' side. If you get flybys...set 1 guy looking forward and one back and shoot opposite directions if they're buzzing over your set up. Or look into your own set up.

Same thing happens with pheasant hunting with more than 2 guys on occasion. The "gun hog" usually isn't invited back.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually prefer taking turns. Makes the hunt last longer, and it lets a few more birds fly!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Simp

Absolutely! If two people are in the blind then I divide theshooting areainto two sections. If the birds are in my section then I shoot. If the birds are in his section he shoots. If I'm getting all of the shots then we'll switch up from time to time.

presisly
Old 11-16-2007, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

Yes you are lucky. That being said now you have the chance to learn from what happened.
Hunting from a blind has rules. Besides the normal firearms safety that should always be obeyed one has to determine how shooting is to take place before hand. How the shot is to be taken.All hunters are to either stand or sit when shooting. ONE OR THE OTHER! Everyone stands or everyone sits! A predetermined zone of fire that is to be adhered to. One person is to call the shot. Hunting from a blind should be a comfortable and safe experience.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:48 AM

I know what you mean about lucky to have your hearing. I think it should be discussed before the hunt each person's zone of fire. The one that calls can say "take em". One person shoots this way and the other shoots the other way and that is that. People get greedy and excited I guess in the blind. I was in a floating blind and got shot right over my head like you say about 5 inches and it was an awful blast. I did have my ear checked and I do have hearing loss in that left ear. It could be from years of shooting or a combination of things but it is a miserable experience to get blasted nearby...

Quick Reply: question about hunting from a duck blind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.