Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hey Whats A Funnnel

Old 11-07-2003, 04:54 PM

Default Hey Whats A Funnnel

Hey it' s BIG EON AGIAN just wanted to know what a funnel was here a lot of deer travel through but dont know what they are.? Also im thinking about well since the ruts in iv' e notticed a lot of Doe Activity around the edge of a feild behind my house im thinking if stay long enough ill get the Does to come out and Maybe a nice Buck What cha Yawl Think![:-][8D]
Old 11-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hey Whats A Funnnel

Go for the Field deal, that' s how I got my First buck, last year good luck!
Old 11-08-2003, 08:19 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-08-2003, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

A funnel is anything that forces deer to go through a certian area. Picture an hour glass. 1 small area connecting 2 larger areas.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:44 PM

go for the feild,it works.. thats how i shot my first buck.. good luk
Old 11-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you fish think of it as structure and you know what structure means when fishing, good chance in catching. Same hold true for deer hunting, funnels(Tits, bottlenecks, etc), draws, ridges are all excellent places to hunt deer in or near.
A funnel is anything that forces deer from several loaction to one location. A tree row or fence line that connects two pieces of bush lots is an example of a funnel. Or what we refer to as a TiT, an area in bush the jutz out ward and provides deer more cover when entering food sources, fields, meadows or other open areas.

During rut hunting does is usually one of your best bets at harvesting bucks. If possible try and locate trail intersections or other structure land that forces deer to move in cover through a specific area. It is always the best option to go to where the deer feel comfortable. Safety zones are the key to deer survival, they tend to not like to be viewable in open area such as fields, while we all see deer cruising and browsing the number of deer you don' t see is the the real ticket. Also when hunting season is on all deer feel pressure and will develop a leary/uneasy feeling about venturing out in open areas without the safety of darkness. Many refer to nocturnal behavior but a way to combat this is go where the deer feel safe and comfortable, in cover. The only real gotcha with doing this is you must have the right wind and know the deer movements in corelation to the time you are hunting. Hunting food sources during the rut can be productive as well, I have taken a bucks with this method. However i prefer and have found more success getting in the shadows or safe zone that lead to that field.

Good luck
Old 11-09-2003, 04:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Apparently it is what nyflyer uses in camp to drink
Old 11-09-2003, 07:43 AM

could it be a feild edge, then you go inside the woods for about 30yds, and its hardwoods and then its super thick, i would think it would force the deer through the hardwoods thats between the field edge and thickette, i was also wondering this, along with how can i tell a deer' s core area, i' ve barely seen anything in the mornings or evenings and wondering whether it could a core area, there' s 2 corn fields to the north, and an alfalfa field to the NE,and the E
Old 11-09-2003, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

It' s an area where the deer are forced to go through by natural movement, I have
a great one on my lease. It is surrounded by two ridges and the deer flow down
into the valley.

Old 11-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

PSE a funnel is litterally a piece of land structure that force deer to one point, while this can have several trails it looks just like a FUNNEL(neck down of land mass). What your describing: if the hardwoods is a ban that surrounds the field edge, runs parrellell and then enters the thick stuff, sounds more like a staging area but really doesn' t force deer to one particluar location, this would be what I refer to as shadows. Good place to hunt but it really doesn' t have the same effect as a funnel or draw does, since the deer can come out anywhere in this staging area, much like a cutline. What you should look for is points that are jutting out and draws behind these areas on field edges. If the field/bush is square look at the corners as possible draws or high traffic areas. When you have a lack of this structure picking a spot is much more difficult, then you must concentrate on trails and intersection of trails in the staging area.

Quick Reply: Hey Whats A Funnnel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.