Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

blind question

Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default blind question

hey i have a question on a boat blind. i really need some help. i bought a 16 foot v-hull and need a blind for it. i have narrowed it down to two choices. here they are. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat601993&id=0058602019872a&navCount=16&am p;podId=0058602&parentId=cat601993&masterp athid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=8IS& rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601993&am p;hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat601993&id=0058855016234a&navCount=38&am p;podId=0058855&parentId=cat601993&masterp athid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XJ&r id=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601993&amp ;hasJS=true

any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: blind question

You are talking about 2 different beasts here. With the first one, you are going to practically lay down in your boat to hunt... almost treat your boat like a layout blind. The second one you would be sitting normally.

I think a lot of it comes down to the type of area you will be hunting in. If you are going to be hunting in an area with low cover than the first would be better... otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the other.

Personally, I like the type of blind where you can sit normally in the boat. You can always build a couple 6-8' hybrid boats and bring them with you if you're going to hunt low cover.

Good luck. Our season is over here. Everything is frozen and the birds are gone... Was a good season though.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:05 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I would prefer the Avery blind as your 16 ft boat isn't designed to be a lay out boat. I would recommend the cabelas brand blind though. Same as the Avery but they are half price right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat601993_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat601993&n avAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&amp ;parentType=index&parentId=cat601993&id=00 21477
Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

In IL waterfowl may not be taken from a boat 'mechanically powered, camouflaged or disguised."

Check out the regs:

http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/waterfowl/Digest_08-09.pdf
Old 12-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

I read that as if your boat is anchored it then becomes legal to shoot from. Camouflaged or not.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Beau Ouiville

In IL waterfowl may not be taken from a boat 'mechanically powered, camouflaged or disguised."

Check out the regs:

Read the whole paragraph brother:

[align=left]Hunting From Floating Blinds, Boats & Scull Boats[/align][align=left]It is unlawful to hunt from a floating blind that is not anchored EXCEPT a scull boat may be used on certain public waters and waterfowl may be taken from a boat not mechanically powered and not camouflaged or disguised. A boat merely painted camouflage is not considered camouflaged.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Not anchored.... that means you can't motor up into a raft of ducks and draw down on them. Thats pretty much the law through all of North America. Basically it means you can float down a river in a canoe and jump shoot to your hearts delight... but you cannot run the motor, cut it off and coast in.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]You could duck hunt off a carnival cruise ship just so long as you are at anchor.[/align]
Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

In NC you dont even have to be anchored in a motor boat. The motor must be off and if equiped with tilt and trim it must be trimmed up out of the water and all forward motion of last motorized propulsion stopped.
Means you can actually paddle or push pole a motor boat and float up on ducks.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deke12ga

In NC you dont even have to be anchored in a motor boat. The motor must be off and if equiped with tilt and trim it must be trimmed up out of the water and all forward motion of last motorized propulsion stopped.
Means you can actually paddle or push pole a motor boat and float up on ducks.
Aren't there certain counties in the NE part of NC that you have to have a floating blind liscense sold by the county? I've heard different folks talking about how hard it is to hunt in Currituck and Dare?
Old 12-11-2008, 01:15 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Beau Ouiville

Check out the regs:

Now, here is a person who does not know much about hunting.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:15 PM
bigcountry

I have used the avery adn like it. I just had trouble out of the fast grass models.

Quick Reply: blind question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.