Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Right bullets for whitetails

Old 11-30-2019, 10:08 AM
Spike

Default Right bullets for whitetails

My area where I hunt just allowed rifles a couple years ago. While I have been hunting whitetails here in Wisconsin for 45 years, it has been with shotguns. This season I shot a doe with a 308 at a distance of 80 yards in a field with Federal 165 Nosler Accubonds. On the Nosler site they claimed these are made for penetration. I put the round through the rib cage which it did hit a rib bone square but it failed to exit or even hit the other side of the rib cage. While the deer only went about 40 yards, I do like an exit wound for tracking if need be. I guess I just thought at that distance with the Accubonds it should have easily went through the animal. I have taken deer at 120 yards with a 12 gauge through both shoulders no problem. I know I'm pretty rifle stupid and there are a lot of variables, but is that normal? Should I look into different bullet types, or write it off as a WTF moment? The Nosler's are accurate out of my gun and I am going to reload for my gun as soon as I find the right bullet and get some brass lined up. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

no its not something that happens a great deal,
but it does happen, if you prefer exit wounds from a 308 win rifle and if you hand load..
you might want to try a speer grand slam 180 grain over 44 grains of varget or ww760 and a 215 fed primer,
one of the guys I hunt elk with swears by those combo's in his BLR
remember critical, precise shot placement and a good knowledge of the anatomy of the game helps immensely

your rifle might be marginally different so start a couple grains lower and work up an accurate load in your rifle

https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/...le-bullet/2063

Last edited by hardcastonly; 11-30-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

there is no reason for an accubond not to exit at 308 velocities, have shot a bunch of accubonds and never recovered one yet, had one that didn't exit but never found it, that one hit a limb in flight on a buck at 455 yards, made a tennis ball sized entry and went entirely through the chest cavity long ways, don't give up on them yet, they are a great bullet.
here is an exit from a 160 accubond at 702 yards

RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 12-08-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

it could be due to a close shot, and speed, can cause funny things with bullets designed to hold together at longer ranges!
hitting that bone at speed maybe caused it to come apart
I have used accubonds as well and had very good results with several calibers, but all my shots were farther out there as well, 200+ yards on most! and still went right thru no issue's(some over 500 yards and still no issue with going thru
some times up closer shots again do funny things with bullets at there near max speed leaving barrel
I have seen MANY ballistic tip type bullets, NOT pass thru a deer at POINT blank ranges, when folks wanted to give a deer a finishing shot, standing over it and NO [pass thru, bullets just came apart
so this is what I think maybe your issue was>

you can always step up to a heavier gran head too, which will give maybe more hold together ??
Old 12-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

there are times when through luck or chance you find something that works almost by accident.
about 40 plus years ago, I was visiting a local mom & pop gun-store when the delivery guy showed up with a hand truck with a heavy box or two at the front door.
I was looking for bullets to use on an upcoming elk hunt, the store owner was talking to the UPS guy and was obviously not happy about something.
as it turned out a screw-up had resulted in the gunshop owner having (25) 100 round boxes of sierra 200 grain bullets arrive on his doorstep
https://www.sierrabullets.com/produc...mm-200-gr-sbt/
now this was back in the later 1980s or so if my memory is correct. as I listened, it became obvious the gunshop owner did not want to accept the bullets.
now the gunshop owner knew me as a decent repeat customer, so when I asked, what the issue was he told me about the screw-up , I asked him if I could help,
if I purchased a couple boxes ,
he made what Im sure he thought was an absurd proposal,
he probably jokingly suggested I could buy the whole lot at his price,
as it would save him shipping them back at his expense,
the price he quoted me was $12 a box and I knew they sold for about $20 each at that time.....
I said I could only afford to take 16 boxes at that price...
I pulled out $200 in 20 bills....
keep in mind $200 at the time was about a weeks pay.
both guys looked at me like I was insane but suddenly there were lots of smiles.
yeah I still have a few boxes and yeah they work great on deer and elk from my 308 win and 30/06 Springfield rifles.
you will not have a problem using H4831 a 215 fed primer with these bullets in a 30/06 or WW760 or H414, in a 308 win ,
on deer at the typical under 250 yard ranges most game is shot at.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 12-08-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hdtramp
My area where I hunt just allowed rifles a couple years ago. While I have been hunting whitetails here in Wisconsin for 45 years, it has been with shotguns. This season I shot a doe with a 308 at a distance of 80 yards in a field with Federal 165 Nosler Accubonds. On the Nosler site they claimed these are made for penetration. I put the round through the rib cage which it did hit a rib bone square but it failed to exit or even hit the other side of the rib cage. While the deer only went about 40 yards, I do like an exit wound for tracking if need be. I guess I just thought at that distance with the Accubonds it should have easily went through the animal. I have taken deer at 120 yards with a 12 gauge through both shoulders no problem. I know I'm pretty rifle stupid and there are a lot of variables, but is that normal? Should I look into different bullet types, or write it off as a WTF moment? The Nosler's are accurate out of my gun and I am going to reload for my gun as soon as I find the right bullet and get some brass lined up. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

I shoot a model 88 Winchester in .308, I can't even tell you how many deer I have put on the ground with it. I shoot only Remington 150 grn Core Lockts ammo and every one had been a pass through except one doe I shot on the left side of the brisket. The deer went right down coughing blood and lung pieces and died within a minute. The bullet was found under the skin on the hind quarter. I stick with what has worked for me for many decades.