HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Right bullets for whitetails
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 10:35 AM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

there are times when through luck or chance you find something that works almost by accident.
about 40 plus years ago, I was visiting a local mom & pop gun-store when the delivery guy showed up with a hand truck with a heavy box or two at the front door.
I was looking for bullets to use on an upcoming elk hunt, the store owner was talking to the UPS guy and was obviously not happy about something.
as it turned out a screw-up had resulted in the gunshop owner having (25) 100 round boxes of sierra 200 grain bullets arrive on his doorstep
https://www.sierrabullets.com/produc...mm-200-gr-sbt/
now this was back in the later 1980s or so if my memory is correct. as I listened, it became obvious the gunshop owner did not want to accept the bullets.
now the gunshop owner knew me as a decent repeat customer, so when I asked, what the issue was he told me about the screw-up , I asked him if I could help,
if I purchased a couple boxes ,
he made what Im sure he thought was an absurd proposal,
he probably jokingly suggested I could buy the whole lot at his price,
as it would save him shipping them back at his expense,
the price he quoted me was $12 a box and I knew they sold for about $20 each at that time.....
I said I could only afford to take 16 boxes at that price...
I pulled out $200 in 20 bills....
keep in mind $200 at the time was about a weeks pay.
both guys looked at me like I was insane but suddenly there were lots of smiles.
yeah I still have a few boxes and yeah they work great on deer and elk from my 308 win and 30/06 Springfield rifles.
you will not have a problem using H4831 a 215 fed primer with these bullets in a 30/06 or WW760 or H414, in a 308 win ,
on deer at the typical under 250 yard ranges most game is shot at.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 12-08-2019 at 10:45 AM.