HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Right bullets for whitetails
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hdtramp
My area where I hunt just allowed rifles a couple years ago. While I have been hunting whitetails here in Wisconsin for 45 years, it has been with shotguns. This season I shot a doe with a 308 at a distance of 80 yards in a field with Federal 165 Nosler Accubonds. On the Nosler site they claimed these are made for penetration. I put the round through the rib cage which it did hit a rib bone square but it failed to exit or even hit the other side of the rib cage. While the deer only went about 40 yards, I do like an exit wound for tracking if need be. I guess I just thought at that distance with the Accubonds it should have easily went through the animal. I have taken deer at 120 yards with a 12 gauge through both shoulders no problem. I know I'm pretty rifle stupid and there are a lot of variables, but is that normal? Should I look into different bullet types, or write it off as a WTF moment? The Nosler's are accurate out of my gun and I am going to reload for my gun as soon as I find the right bullet and get some brass lined up. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

I shoot a model 88 Winchester in .308, I can't even tell you how many deer I have put on the ground with it. I shoot only Remington 150 grn Core Lockts ammo and every one had been a pass through except one doe I shot on the left side of the brisket. The deer went right down coughing blood and lung pieces and died within a minute. The bullet was found under the skin on the hind quarter. I stick with what has worked for me for many decades.