Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do?

Old 11-23-2018, 07:51 AM
Spike

Default What would you do?

Was wondering what would you guys think if another hunter started passing your stand 30 to 40 yards in the morning and evenings?Would it matter if he is going down a travel corridor to my setup and do you think him spooking the deer doing this is going to ruin my hunting exp?
Old 11-23-2018, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

If he is just passing through it won't have much impact. Pay attention to when he is moving because he could run game by you. Often you can use the movements of others to your benefit.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

What Flags said! I've had late hunters riding 4 wheelers by my stand on the way to their stand. As long as they keep moving you're OK! I've killed deer within moments after they passed by on several different occasions.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

a lot depends on the area your hunting and where the deer stay and how there effected by humans in the area
, if on private land I would have a larger issues if the person was trespassing
if on public lands, its just the nature of the beast
I have a lot of feed back from hunters that hunt public land, and it almost seems at times, many people see YOU hunting in an area and they USE you as a scouting tool thinking you know better and it MUST be a good area if your there
and have even had and know of several hunters walking in on guys ans setting up just a few yards from them,
a actual deal with me on PA game lands, I had a guy walk up on me, seen me from a good 500 yards out, and just kept coming
I was sitting on a large boulder outcrop in orange head to toe, on a snow covered mt top
guy came all the way up to me and seemed top wanta friend>
he then told me,, his plans were to sit NEXT to me, and we THEN could watch different directions and see who see's a deer first gets to shoot it>>
I was about 2 miles in from the nearest road, walked in 2 hours before sunrise to be there at first light and this IDIOT IMO< showed up about 30 minutes into sun rise
needless to say I wasn't happy, and DIDN"T stay there sitting next to him??
BUT its public lands and NOTHING you can do about it!

every area you hunt can be different on HOW deer are effected by guys wandering about
they can push deer OFF lands or push them into you, , and other things too
Old 11-23-2018, 10:19 AM
Spike

well here is the deal the land i hunt in is mine and my brothers and also some of it was my grandparents when living. about 7 acres nothing big the land next to use is private land owned by a man that allows no hunting .here`s the thing the guy doing this i have spoken with for last few years he has hunted some other land around a half mile away i also hunt there as well,but this spot on our land always has does and bucks couple weeks before the rut had pics of around 20 does and 6 or 7 bucks.i guess a 200 class buck was spotted in the area and now the whole country side is pressured hard including this guy he wants that buck so bad he is now hunting land where it is not allowed and walking thru my setup food plot,licks and the such,my brother shot a 7 point and again after that nothing for around 4 days then i started seeing the does again but now he is going past and walking the travel lanes they use and now all is dead again.And while i know where this guys stand is i have made sure to stay away from his setup 3oo to 400 yards basically he isn't seeing the buck he wants so he decided to leave his stand and walk in in the morning out at midday then in in the eve and out at dark.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Have him charged with trespass and if he does it again have him charged again, it gets very expensive the 2nd time. Also check if your state has a hunter harassment law and check to see if what he is doing fits that as well. If he was doing that on my land he would have already been arrested, especially since he allows no one on his property.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:02 AM
Spike

ok let me rephrase this.i have 2 neighbors one will let you hunt the other will not.me and the guy coming thru my setup along with another fellow hunt on the neighbor that allows hunting.i have a ground blind about 400 yards from the fellow that is coming past my stand on my land.thing is i go strait up the hill and stay away from his stand like i said i`m at least 400 yards from his stand or more .i also hunt on my property that i have a stand on my land is right by the guy that allows no hunting .but this fellow has not seen the buck he is after so now he is hunting the neighbor right next to my stand in search for this big buck and passing my stand and going thru the travel corridors that lead to my property .also the blind i hunt and the stand he normally hunts on the land we have permission to hunt is a good half mile away from my stand.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

You have to decide how much you will tolerate before you do something, you may want to talk to the other land owner that allows hunting and tell him what the guy is doing. As I said, if it were me I would have already done something.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:25 PM
Spike

this guy is on foot but IDK he come up September and October and wanted to park and go scout the guys property and place corn and cam when he crossed my property he had to seen the deer activity there .we have kale,curly top salad and purple top turnips .the amount of deer sign was crazy just tracks everywhere.and 2 weeks before rut hit it all pretty much stopped was spaces of 6 days and nothing was on our cams.pretty much around the same time this guy was going onto the landowners land and placing corn and big and j attractant .i know last year he told me he was placing a feeder and wanted me to help him keep corn in it said he wanted to draw the deer away from the owner that doesn't allow hunting.now i wonder if he hasn't done the same to me.then again like i said they caught a buck that looked to score in the 200 class on cam in this area and the hunting pressure has increased .
i really don't know how to handle it i like the guy alright but if he was hurting my hunting knowingly i wouldn't be happy about it i'm sure you guys know how much you can spend on hunting.now i'm not the most experienced hunter i have been hunting the last 5 years and i don't trophy hunt i take them for the meat and i have never not seen bucks here it's just crazy to me all i have seen in the last 13 days is a few does and a button buck.
i started by smoking my clothes because its a scent they are used to smelling in this area me and another fellow have wood stoves after the first few days i decided to wash my clothes with decent detergent and use dead down wind and drop my cover scents and nothing .just like they are no deer at all in the area.and now this guy starts pushing in the only area i am seeing much while telling me he has seen 18 to 20 deer a day and watched numerous buck travel past his stand.

Last edited by jkk101; 11-23-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with old timer
have a chat with the land owner tell him how this is effecting you, if a GOOD neighbor, he will help you, if not?
BUT if this guy is walking thru your property at all, he is breaking the law and YOU need to follow up on things, other wise it will just keep happening!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.