Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Same deer shot by two hunters

Old 12-07-2017, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Yeah I'd say you are wrong, both hunters shot the deer then the deer died. I think you are way over analyzing.
I again said I think boy did right thing, but right thing isn';t always legal!
I cannot shoot a deer and let someone else tag it
BOY shot deer NOT knowing someone was coming, so he CHOSE to kill it
he killed it, legally and legally , in this case he GAVE said deer away
that is NOT really legal
we just sort of addressed this in other post, its who ever kills deer that its THERE deer

and IF law enforcement was there or not, that means little In the law, many law enforcement officers have been guilty of breaking the law too
If it was a mercy kill, due to a wounded animal and dispatching it to end its suffering, that SHOULD have been done by said law enforcement, not a hunter looking to fill a tag

in life there are GREY area's we all dip into and not saying otherwise
but, double standards exist in the world and IMO this is one of them
I know folks that have been fined for tagging a deer they DIDN"T kill
if you chose to KILL something, its YOUR"S ,. NO
as again this kid did NOT know someone was coming he chose to kill it as HIS deer,
many folks would love to shoot more than one deer a yr, this is why the laws are, YOU kill it YOU tag it!
not hating on the boy, just saying
in life some times the RIGHT thing and legal thing are NOT the same!
had story not been told NO one but those there would know?
Mum's the word sometime in life!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rockport is correct and so is C-tom. Had the action not been legal I would not have allowed it. Are you arguing for the sake of argument or what. You sure aren't arguing from the standpoint of of the law, just your opinion which is incorrect. Two men each shot the same deer at different times. They came together over the body of the deer and came to a decision as to whose deer it should be and that person tagged the deer making it legally his. It is that simple, don't over analyze a simple situation.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-07-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Rockport is correct and so is C-tom. Had the action not been legal I would not have allowed it. Are you arguing for the sake of argument or what. You sure aren't arguing from the standpoint of of the law, just your opinion which is incorrect. Two men each shot the same deer at different times. They came together over the body of the deer and came to a decision as to whose deer it should be and that person tagged the deer making it legally his. It is that simple, don't over analyze a simple situation.
defend it all you like, I am NOT arguing just stating a fact
last person that shoots and KILLS it, is the person that KILLED it

if they decide to NOT tag it and let the other person tag it, that there call not the law's side of things
if these were two strangers and FIGHTING over a BIG buck , the law would come down to LAST person that shot and KILLED it.

IF I shoot a person and there STILL alive, and someone else shoots them and KILLS them(extreme example here)
one if guilty of shooting person one is guilty of murdering them!
you call it as you like
but just cause you let it go, doesn't again MEAN it was legally 100% here!
your human as are rest of us, we something do whats right and again NOT legal!
this is a super trivial deal IMO, but doesn't change FACTS or laws!

Last edited by mrbb; 12-07-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to see a good old fashioned piddle-squat break out. It's a faint whiff of old times on here.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some people just can't be fixed.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Always a slippery slope. I have been involved with a similar thing and ended up with the deer. I hit a buck with my bow through the boiler works and the deer ran right up to another hunter in a tree stand about 150 yds away. I was following the ample blood trail with a full pass through and saw him come out of his stand and walked up to the deer just as I got there. He did have an arrow into it but it was sticking out of his chest but in a direction that indicated he shot it when it was down. There wasn't much of an argument on who owned the deer. Around these parts local custom is whomever put the lethal shot in gets the deer. I have taken a limping deer previously wounded in the leg. Nobody came along and I tagged the buck but in that case my shot was certainly the killing shot. In some areas I have hunted local customs say first shot gets the deer but that IMO leaves a lot of gray area as indicated by my story. I have zero tolerance for anyone who uses another persons tag to justify killing an animal unless it is legal such as what is allowed in a party hunting state. Here in Vermont it is not. I ended a friendship recently with a neighbor who did a similar thing.

Not all wounded deer drop right away. Bad shots do happen. Once on the last day of the rifle season in a raging snow storm I hunted alone in a vast wilderness area in northern Vermont. I was about 1/2 mile from my truck and a nice buck was picking through the swamp about 80 yds away. I settled in made the shot and saw the deer was hit but it quickly ran out of sight. There was 6" of fresh snow so I took off tracking it. The snow from where it bedded showed my shot had been too far forward on a quartering deer breaking one shoulder. It was 7 am and I took off after the deer. The blood trail was good and I was confident I would catch up to the animal. A mile passed and I did jump it a couple of times but couldn't get a shot off. At around 2 pm I finally did get the chance to shoot it when it was bedded and looking at the GPS showed I was 5 miles away from the truck and it was all uphill. I dragged it out to a road by dark that showed on the GPS and thankfully a passing truck gave me and my buck a ride back to my truck. I was guilty of making a bad shot and that was on me. I did follow up with getting the deer but if someone else had killed it I would have certainly given it to them. That deer was probably going to eventually die but was fair game for anyone else IMO.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-08-2017 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mrbb
I am sorry but I will have to dis agree, and know wardens that will too!
You do know that OT used to be a warden right? If he says it is within the law, then it is. Have you ever been a game warden? Are you being obtuse merely for the sake of being obtuse?
Old 12-08-2017, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
You do know that OT used to be a warden right? If he says it is within the law, then it is. Have you ever been a game warden? Are you being obtuse merely for the sake of being obtuse?
FLAGS< YES I know he used to be a be warden, and I have also known game wardens that broke the law too, after all they are only human, unless you think there NOT!
I am NOT trying to be anything but saying actual facts

person that KILLED the deer it the killer, and its HIS job LEGALLY to tag it

I cannot go shoot a deer and have a buddy tag it and me keep hunting

as I said again and maybe you folks just DON"T get it
I agreed the kid did the right THING, my point is it wasn't the legal thing and that's all

we ALL break laws on a regular basis I bet, doesn't mean we all get fined or arrested for doing so
and a SIMPLE example is, SPEEDING
I bet MOST folks do NOT follow every POSTED SPEED LIMIT sigh to a T at ALL times,
does it make us legal to NOT follow it
NO we ARE breaking the LAW
does law enforcement have the OPTION to look the other way, and use there discretion, YUP 100% they can do so, and do every day !

BUT doesn't change the fact we broke the law!
IF they WISHED to press the issue, we would have a fine, and would BE OUR Fault!
keep defending this all you like, I ain't saying kid did the wrong thing ethically, just did the wrong ting legally!
and a warden allowed it, MOST LIKELY using his discretion to ALLOW the tag to be passed on!
but had the warden NOT have been there , it again was legally a KILL by the KID and should have been HIS tag used
he STILL could have given the deer to the GUY if he wanted to!
and NOT been able to keep hunting for a second deer to KILL!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Get over yourself with your nonsense. Your problem is you dug yourself a hole and now you don't know how to climb out of it and save face so you just keep digging. When you go through a year of training and 32 years of working with the law, teaching the law to other officers and writing laws and regulations, then perhaps you can tell me what a violation of the Game and Wildlife Code the law is. I tied to be nice about it, but enough is enough.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I would think the defining issue would be intent. When a WCO investigates a case the overall intent of the person should have a bearing on the outcome. It is the WCO's duty to decide if the action taken was within the parameters of the law or a poaching violation. I have known quite a few wardens over the years and they are among the most dedicated outdoors men and women around. They all love to hunt but are dedicated to their jobs and give that up to protect the public domain for all of us. IMO putting a mortally wounded animal out of it's misery is far different than playing around with tags to keep one person hunting. MRBB it looks to me like you are playing the devil's advocate here and just arguing for the sake of it.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-08-2017 at 06:35 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.