Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Same deer shot by two hunters

Old 12-22-2017, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

mmrb, you just don't get it and I doubt you ever will. I made a specific point of saying the law prevents, nay prohibits WCOs from deciding ownership of a deer. There was not one thing illegal about that boy allowing the man who wounded the deer to tag it after he put it down and the old man came down the hill tracking the deer. I repeat, nothing was illegal about it technical or otherwise. You don't need to quote the law to me, I am quite sure I know it much better than you ever will. Now I am done after my last period in this post, and you can continue to insist you are correct from now until the next millennium, but you will still be wrong. There wasn't even time to get ink on the kids deer tag before the old man came into view obviously tracking the blood trail, no one had touched the deer yet, the old man told us where he had shot the deer and that he had been tracking it for a while. The kid did not tell the man to" tag his deer,"( the boys words), in order for him to be able to continue hunting, he did it because it was the right thing to do if a person has any morals or conscience, and perfectly legal. The law you posted is written the way it is so as to prevent arguments over ownership of animals after they are dead, if there is an argument, an officer can tell both parties what the law says and then it is still up to the two to decide who is taking the animal home, there is no violation in the game code or charge for violating that law. Therefore there was no violation. You have to know the intent of the law, not just the words in order to enforce it. There was no argument, the law regarding ownership did not need to be applied...

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-22-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am was NOT just posting a law code here, I re wrote your story to the PA game commission and that was there reply to me in an email to me based on your story!
the LAW stated the last person to place the lethal shot
which was the BOY in your story
you can say what you want, the law stated what I posted
I am again DONE< here
you feel you were right, and I agreed, a GAME warden can make the call in the field, but YOUR Story did NOT say YOU acting as a WARDEN made the call, you said, PROUD the KID did what he did,
and I again felt that was the ethical call
just NOT the legal call based on above game law PA has! and said BY the PA Game commission when I gave them the story!
DONE HERE no point, you will never change your view, so, lets end this
but the LAW says what the LAW says!
like it or not!
Old 03-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

So I didn't read through the WHOLE thread but I had this happen twice.

1. where the guy shooting the kill shot had tagged out already ( I claimed it and gave him a full hindquarter). I made a shot and destroyed the liver with an '06. He was killed within 65 yards of the initial shot , a 4 by 5 with a wide rack.

2. I shot a small forkhorn buck (running) high (probably a non kill, though it did hit the spine), the last day of the season, and I claimed it; as the other guy had also tagged out. I provided 2 good packs of steaks to him.

SMALL TOWN, everyone knows everyone. What's the response now?

YES, I've learned to shoot much more accurate since those days.

You may ask what were they doing in the woods? They were "Coyote hunting".

REM7600

Last edited by REM_7600; 03-01-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Where do you hunt that people that have tagged out are still shooting deer? That would be illegal in my state and many others.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

I,ve seen the the opposite problem,
about 40 years ago I was standing by my truck which at the time, was parked about a 1/4 mile from even a dirt road when a local game warden/wildlife officer truck pulled up next to us for a licence check, we were parked in a management area in an area,where we were allowed to hunt/camp.(on a raised berm between power lines)
I was kidding with the officer that I wanted to know where he kept the set of stilts with the deer hoof base they used to leave tracks because after several hunts in the area I had yet to see a single deer with horns.
as we leaned on the truck, and B.S.ed (talked) I looked up and we both saw a reasonably nice 4x4 white tail buck standing at the edge of a clearing staring at us from about 200 yards out across a low saw-grass/mudflat with lots of head high saw-grass.
the wildlife officer pointed out the deer at the same time we saw it, and said,
"theres your magic disappearing deer"|
well my partner doe's a quick double take and quickly .. asked the wild life officer if it was legal to shoot from where we were, to shoot the deer.....the wild life officer nodes and my partner dropped into a seated position using the truck bumper as an improvised partial, rifle rest, pumps a cartridge into his 760 Remington and fires a single shot,the deer jumps about 10 feet forward then drops and kicks a couple times. all of us walk over to see the buck, it took about 4 minutes to walk over to the buck, .... we get there and the wild life officers says, "DAMN THATS IMPRESSIVE! If I was not standing there watching it happen, I might have written you a ticket"
we were all confused?
..the wildlife officer was not looking at the deer but into the saw-grass behind where the buck had been standing.....not more than about 10 yards past where the buck was hit was a stone dead doe with a profile of what looked like a sideways bullet, impact, just below her ear .....the bullet (a 220 grain peters soft point round nose from that 30/06) had exited the buck's shoulder and struck the doe below the ear , and none of us including the game warden had seen the doe until we had walked up to collect the buck.
we were lucky the daily possession limit at the time was two deer here in Florida. but does were not legal game, on that particular area on that day.
the wild life officer confiscated the doe and watched us dress the buck while he dressed out the doe.....he said it would be taken to a local food bank.....we were just glad we were not in any trouble and happy to get the buck!

now someones bound to ask why he was using peters 220 grain 30/06 ammo on deer and the reasons very simple , at the time where was a store called CMA consumer mart of AMERICA
it was a store like ZAYERS or some other stores like SEARS at the time where guns were available in the sporting goods department, that had sales at that time.that had a clearance sale and my friends and I purchased several cases of that 30/06 ammo at about 40 cents on the dollar prices

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-01-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

The kills mentioned were in Maine over 27 years ago. Why were they in the woods?

"hunting deer",

no doubt to me... they always had partners nearby (no cell phones or radios back then, and it may have changed but were also illegal at the time) that had not tagged out. Uhhhh you do the math... but back then everyone totally processed the deer they took, as it should be. I can't say to feed their family, let's not go there... but these were hard working blue collar Americans doing what they did! Did we fight about it NOPE, "there wasn't much to fight about" in my couple of instances but if you took a short jaunt South to say Pennsylvania, Delaware, etc. where deer are overridden and hunter population HIGH,I think you'd find more instances of this scenario, that being shooting one, wounding it, and someone else killing it.

As for the hunting after tagging out, no excuses... Take a shotgun and hunt ditch chickens or rabbits... a rifle outside of .22LR caliber is probably not appropriate.

REM7600
Old 03-01-2018, 03:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nonsense, there are poachers and violators everywhere. A sportsman doesn't not collude with them, they report them. So it appears you have no problem with poachers? That say a lot about you.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

**************** edited by bocajnala

I hope that's not the case... a hunter since 10 years old, I consider myself ethical and legal. Don't you go placing this on me. I'm sharing my experiences.

Poaching? ****, 30 years ago it was prominent and we knew who they were!

I hope we're not at odds...

REM7600

Last edited by Bocajnala; 03-02-2018 at 03:27 AM. Reason: edited for rule #1 violations. 3day ban
Old 03-01-2018, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

See my PM's to you please.

as I said I'm sharing my experiences.

Outside of that, nothing much to say.

REM7600

PS: see PM's