Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Processor charging for donations >

Processor charging for donations

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Processor charging for donations

Old 10-30-2003, 06:21 PM

Default Processor charging for donations

I took a doe that i shot to the processor to donate it and i was told i had to pay[:@]. Yep, the processor, who is already being compensated for his time by the PA game commission wants me to pay to donated my DEER! Bull ---- ! I typically donate 6 deer a year but not if i have to pay for it. They are charging 15$. Has anyone else run into this. I am taking orders if anyone wants any.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Processor charging for donations

i had spoken to my taxidermy this year and he said he charging 20 dollars a deer.. the reASON is , becausethe donation program is paying them 1 dollar a pound and they want boneless meat and they are losing money cause they still gotta pay their butchers..so the 15 20 dollars is to compensate the difference.. not all charge i got me a list of donators in my area i am sure you can find them also on here as well
Old 10-30-2003, 06:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Processors here ask the hunter to pay their normal fee to process a deer for donation programs , not all states or programs chip in . The point of donating is to help the less fortunate , and $15 is pretty cheap when you consider that a single carcass can feed up to 200 needy people . I would gladly pay the little bit of change that you' re complaining about just for the knowledge that one child went to bed with a full belly , apparently we have different standards .
Old 10-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

$15 seems pretty cheap to me. Do you really think they are making much money on the deal? I doubt it.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:37 PM

yep sounds cheap to me....the ones i know of here in kansas charge you the entire butchering fee if you want to donate it..

And still glad to do it..........
Old 10-30-2003, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here you can take it to a couple of shops and the tab is zero. all the rest charge a nominal tax deductable fee, which is to cover costs for processing and wrap. It is not suppose to be a profit service for these shops. I think the point is to help those in need and 15 buck isn' t that much, even considering 6 deer we' re talking 90 bucks, plus it should be a tax deduction as it is a donation. The other option is to cut and wrap it yourself then drop it off at a food bank or soup kitchen..provided they will take it (here they do ).