Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

My processor is an idiot.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:34 AM

Default My processor is an idiot.

In the past I would either process my own deer or take it to a local custom meat shop if I was busy. I didn't have time to butcher the doe I shot recently so I brought it to this shop. The way they operate is they give you a sheet to fill out of what cuts you want. I put the typical stuff. Steaks, Tenderloin, Summer Sausage, and told them to grind whatever was leftover. I went to pick it up today and they had ground my entire deer. This really ticks me off becuase I paid in advance with a credit card so I couldn't just refuse the meat because then I would be out my $50.00. So now I'm stuck with a freezer full of ground meat. Which is bad because theres plenty you can do with ground meat it just ticks me off that they can't follow simple instructions. I mean they offered no explanation as to why they ground the whole thing. And they have done a good job in the past so I don't get why this time was different. So to make a long story short I won't be going to that processor any more. More then likely I will give away most of this meat and butcher my next deer myself. Sorry for the long story. I just needed to vent.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My processor is an idiot.

That sucks. Imo they should have remburst youhalf if not all your money back for thier mishap. To me that would be just good biz.

PS do you want fries with that [8D]
Old 12-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would ask to see what the heck had happened, but it is probaly to late now. I have a couple of friends I work with that bought two pigs off a butcher here. one of the guys got a pig with no porkchops and the other one got a pig that was just porkchops. Needless to say there was quite a mix up there. That could be something along the line of what you got. Someone else may have all your steaks now instead of you. Good luck with it..
Old 12-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing rings true as the old saying "If you want something done right Do it yourself!!
Old 12-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

"If you want something done right Do it yourself!!
That's why I find time to do it myself....
Old 12-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

"If you want something done right Do it yourself!!
That's why I find time to do it myself....
Absolutely right.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

Hey at least you got all your meat my local limp XXXX butcher gave me less then half last yr he said here,s what we got out of your 1deer. Get this I took in 5 in all for our group needless to say the law was called in oh they found the rest after thelaw and the GWwent into the freezer. Hiden in a different freezer but the stoop for got to pull my name off of the baskets they pack the meat into. I wasn,t the only guy that almost got stiffed.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:57 AM

See this exact reason right here is why i like how our buisness runs. I have processed deer with my grandfather for 6-7 years now and the buisness will be mine next year( he has been doing it for 30 years and was a butcher for 50 years ). we do about 100-150 deer a year and this is how we do ours. The customer is there to watch the entire thing , they see what is thrown away , what is kept , and if something is bad and needs to be thrown away we show it to them and let them decide for themselves if they want to keep it. It is also helpfull to them that if they are there they can stop us immediately if there is somehing they want done differently then when they told us when they first got there , plus there is no way we could grind up someone's whole deer if they didn't want it ground with them there.

We are done the whole deer in 30 minutes , (we schedule them 30 minutes apart ) debone everything , if wanted , stew meat , cube steaks , sausage , burger , pull loins or loin chops , deboned steaks or bone in steaks. $25 ! we put everything in individual bags and the customers go home and wrap it to their liking !
Old 12-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to say it but I think a lot of the deer butchers seem to be robbing people anymore. I used to always do my own deer, and some for friends. As usual, it got overwhelming and now I don't even butcher my own anymore. I have gone to using some of the commercial places. Am I satisfied? Not at all. Either the deer are weighing a lot less than they used to, a lot of meat is being left on the bones, or someone is just plain taking a share for themselves. A good friend of mine took a nice sized buck ( Penna. deer) to a butcher several years ago. The deer had been shot thru the chest, ruining little if any meat. When he went to pick it up, he was given a bag og ground meat you could have carried in your hat and the rest of the meat could have fit in a shoebox. He asked for an explaination, and was told the deer was badly shot up. One pass-thru in the chest. Badly shot up. He went a little berserk and said he wasn't leaving until they gave him the rest of his meat. After a few minutes of debate, they gave him another bag og ground meat. Needless to say none of our group will go back there again.
I guess the only way to make sure that you get all you've got coming is to go back to doing it yourself anymore. What a shame it is that it seems none of these places are trustworthy anymore.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:37 AM

like i said .......be there to watch them , see what they throw away , alot of places won't even let you stay there to watch , those are the places i wouldn't go to EVER . I can understand the big problem that everyone gets pissed off cause i have heard alot of "stealing" stories from the hunters that have gone to other places. No1 else where we cut deer will let you watch , and you get your deer back in a "few days " To them your a number and to us your a person. alot of these places treat us hunters like crap , but what they don't understand is without us hunters we would not have our cutting buisness. I do it to hang out with my grandfather , talk to the hunters , laugh have fun , and make a little money on the side.

plus i love hearing the hunting story from each deer !

Quick Reply: My processor is an idiot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.