Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Charging hog.  has anyone really ever been charged. >

Charging hog. has anyone really ever been charged.

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Charging hog. has anyone really ever been charged.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Charging hog. has anyone really ever been charged.

Ive dealt with these critters for most of my life. Im 36 years old and have yet to be "charged" by a boar. It isnt because of a lack of hunting. I go out just about every week. Im prettychoosey in what I shot, so I dont harvest but 6 to 10 a year. Ive hunted them with dogs and knives, guns, pistols, and bows. I have even layed out in the field with them in the dark, while they were rooting up wind of me. Ive walked out and slaped them in the butt when they were feeding in an area I was deer hunting. I have had hogs run in my direction, which looked like they were charging, but I simply step to the side, let them run past, and hit them with an arrow. I have had them cornered with dogs in a wash out. Agian, no charge. Im just curious if anyone has realy been charged. Please share your stories.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:23 PM

Default RE: Charging hog. has anyone really ever been charged.

yea i've been charged several times. barely got out of the way the other day when a hog broke bay and came at me full speed, the dogs were catchin it again as i got out of the way one had it by the ear.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Dangerous
Feral hogs, whether mature boars or sows with pigs, can be dangerous. Although most hogs run away at the sight of people, they have been known to charge. They also bully cattle, horses and deer away from feeders, sometimes causing them to run through fences.

Burnie, in all the years i've spent hog hunting, I've been charged a few times. A good friend had the insides of both legs cut when he was charged by a Boss Hog. You never know when! A big Boss Hog or a Piggy Sow can not be trusted. Sometimes they have more Cojones than you!
Old 03-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, I've been charged twice on the same hunt. Its an experience you wont forget too soon.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:22 PM

yes i have been charged twice while running dogs. one hunt my 40cal put it down at about 6 steps; and the other i had to climb a lil pine tree, to fun =).
Old 03-24-2006, 04:39 PM

ive been charged while using dogs ,while still hunting ,callin from the ground and while trailin wounded ones .i been charged so many times it aint funny only been knocked down once but before he could come around again my brother shot him .i was lucky no cuts i had on some snake chaps that took the blow .i had a bruise for a few days he was an average boar weighed 220 lbs about 4 in tusks . but enough to hurt .
Old 03-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Im glad I havent had some of the big boys ive seen get after me.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Rebel Hog completely. Some will, some won't, but lets' not forget the man that laid around, fed, photographed the grizzly bears, etc. It can and will happen, just a matter of time. dog1
Old 03-27-2006, 12:47 PM

I have been charged several times.lost a little blood on a couple of those times.never nothing bad.had one little boar one time that though he was real bad.he only weighted about 90 lbs. teeth about 1/2" to 3/4". he got me on the arm just as my dog caught and pulled him back. [] [] [&:] [&:] [8D]
I put 2 stictches in my arm and a blade to his posturer and made a different hog outa him. . thats the only time I had to put a needle to myself.[]
had black and blue on my legs a bunch of times from them smaller ones.the bigger ones I was always more careful.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:36 PM

Funny you guys are talking about this. I just wrote an article for a few magazines that is about this very subject. It's called " Death Charge"....you'llsee it coming up in Adventure Sports Outdoors and Extreme Wildlife. Anyway, I personally have only been charged once in all the years I've been hunting them. It's exactly as Burnie said, most people like to say they were charged, when in fact the hogs are just running by your location, clueless as to where the shot or threat came from. I was insprired to write the article after the hog below did perform an actual "death charge". He was hit and hit hard and was going for broke! When he ran into the palmettos, he was doing what they all do.....heading for cover....I thought! We were so close when we took the shot, he knew where we were. All I saw was the palmettos open up in front of me and he came right back out head on to us. All I saw was 4 feet of Black Hide barrelling towards me. After my partner threw another shot in his direction, he broke the charge at the last second. I have seen both happen. I have seen the disoriented hogs running around you and I have seen a Death Charge and all I can say is, you will know the difference!!!!!

99% of the time, if given a way out, they take it. Except for bumpinga grumpy old boar in his wallowwhere he is just acting on instinctor a death charge,.......you probably won't encounter a charge, but thats not what a lot of hog hunters like to admit. It just depends on the hog!

Quick Reply: Charging hog. has anyone really ever been charged.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.