Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any Kansas hunters around?

Old 10-29-2003, 05:41 PM

Default Any Kansas hunters around?

Just wondering if anybody here who visits this forum lives or hunts in Kansas? Going to be relocating there this upcoming spring, and would like to know what to expect in terms of deer hunting and anything else. Like to know about rifle and muzzleloader seasons, bag limits, etc.

Either be moving to Pratt or Hutchinson area.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:54 PM

Default RE: Any Kansas hunters around?

Yep, Life long native here. Well you could look forward to awsome hunting. We have some exceptional bucks and good numbers of turkeys, especially around hutch.

Residents can recieve one Whitetail either sex firearms tags that allows you to hunt both the second half of september with muzzle loader, no scopes. And the regular rifle season wich is usually first 2 wks of dec. Finding good land is getting tougher, especially around hutch but there can be some good spots in Walk in hunting. there is some great hunting SW of pratt towards medicine lodge
Old 10-29-2003, 08:28 PM

bigcat,

First of all, thanks for responding to my post. I have a bunch of family down in Kansas and in Missouri, but most of them don' t hunt. I' m mainly just really concerned about what I should expect when it comes to hunting down there. Is public land scarse? And how hard is it to get permission to hunt on private property? I' m not much interested in hunting for turkey' s, but I mainly want to pursue whitetail' s and predators.

Old 10-29-2003, 09:46 PM

Well public land is availiable there is alot of ground around any of the major resiviors, then there is Walk in Hunting the state publishs county by county maps highlighting all of these spots. As for private land it all depends on how you ask and where you go. Many of the areas around any large city, or areas where stories get around of big deer will be leased, if you want to spend money most guys will talk but there is still a good chance of just good old fashioned trading some game or farm help for permission. As for predators we have our share and it will be much easier to access ground if you tell the farmer you want to shoot some pesky yotes. I love to hunt them and it has got my foot in the door to more than one deer spot.

Happy to help. Ask all you want