Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

KANSAS HUNTERS

Old 08-01-2007, 08:09 PM

Default KANSAS HUNTERS

I'm from NC and have been offered a landowner trans tag for $750 for Chatauqua County. Because of work I would HAVE to hunt the week of Oct. 6-12. As of now I have NO PLACE to hunt so I would have to either find someplace between now and then (i will leave no stone unturned) or else drive out with no place to hunt and spend the first part of the trip trying to find some land...

Im not one to place the success of a trip on killing a deer or not, and i know its hunting and not killing....but what do ya'll think??? What kind of advice have you got and from everything I've always heard, $750 seems to be reasonable for a KS tag.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:55 PM

Default RE: KANSAS HUNTERS

I could be wrong but don't you have to hunt on the landowners property that is offering the tag??
Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

That's the exact same thing i was thinking JGRIP.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

I outfit in Kansas and a land owner transferable tag is county specific. That means you have to hunt in the county that the land owner owns land.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:34 PM

i knew this was the case but figured id let someone else correct them...
Old 08-04-2007, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

Take a look at the Walk-In Hunting Atlas on the KDWP website. Walk-IN hunting is VERY good in Kansas and there's usually a lot of it. I don't know abou that county though.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Spike

There is not much public or "walk in" land in that county. I'd pass on paying $750 for that tag. The dates you have to hunt are pre first frost, so you'll be covered in ticks and mosquitos. Tell you what, I'd suggest going one state east to Missouri, where you can get an out of state tag for $120 and have far more public land to hunt. Just my opinion. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a link to show the Walk-in, or the lack of walk-in that is available for that county. As you can see, there's not much and your guess is as good as mine weather or not the land holds any deer. Looks like to me that it would be a crap shoot as to weather or not the $750. would be a wise investment.
http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/kdwp_info/locations/hunting_fishing_maps_by_county/fall_2006_wiha_hunting_maps/chautauqua
Old 08-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

HeyGobble, .

I live in Kansas and will help you with any questions you might have. You can send me a PM. I will be heading to Alaska in 8 days to hunt Caribou but can give you help until then. First the transferable tag that is costing you $750.00 is what the person selling it to you is asking.It will then get signed over to you. You have to have the tag transferred to your name and get the tag. Cost around $300 you also have to purchase a hunting lic. I think they are now $72.00. Costs went up so not sure about exact prices. So make sure you know that the $750 tag is going to cost you close to $1100 to get it all legal.

Next the people of Kansas for the most part are very friendly. Chances are you can knock on a few doors and get permission to hunt. But remember if they gave you permission they most likely have given other people permission to hunt. Also many have given permission well in advance to people they are going to let hunt. Showing up after sesson has started and asking to hunt will be hit and miss.

Oct. is not the best time to hunt. The rut is not even close and many farms may still have Milo and corn standing. So some people won’t even consider giving permission to hunt until the crops are in.

Also most of the best land has long since been leased and contrary to many peoples thinking there are not trophy bucks on every plot of ground in Kansas. Many farmers are full aware of the cost of a trophy whitetail. If they don’t have their property leased to others many will still be asking a pretty penny to hunt their ground.

The Kansas Dept. of Wildlife and Parks have done a super job at getting good land to hunt. But many locals forced off private land will be hunting the Walk in Areas. There are many good spots. But with no prior scouting that is going to eat up a lot of your time.

From what I understand this is going to be the last year of transferable tags. I don’t know that to be fact but that’s the word around here.

I will be glad to see that happen. I am very fortunate to have a friend that owns 25,000 acres of top Whitetail ground that only my son, wife and self get to hunt. We have taken a few people that we swap with also.

If you have any other questions shoot me a PM I’ll be glad to help.

Goatslayer........
Old 08-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Spike

I believe goatslayer is incorrect on it costing $300 to transfer the permit I believe its less that 5 dollars to transfer the permit, at least thats what it was last year. He is correct that you need a non resident hunting license for $72.15
I have some transferable archery permits for nemaha and pottowatomie county's at home and will go check to see how much it cost to transfer and post it on here later.

Quick Reply: KANSAS HUNTERS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.