Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Kansas Hunters

Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Kansas Hunters

I have a ?, If you guys could help? My friend called me today about a buddy of his. The father of his buddy has 2,000 acres to hunt in your state and he asked me if I wanted to hunt with him this year in Kansas. I said yea baby! BUT then I thought that your state was a draw and point state. My Buddy told me that the owner can get land tags and let us use them. We will be Bowhunting! I checked the Kansas fish and game site and I see nothing on there to this fact. It even looks like they changed some Non-res and landowner Regs for Deer 2008. I'm I missing something? I would love to hunt your great state, but I don't see that happening until we get some points in a few years! Thanks!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Kansas Hunters

yes they did change stuff this year I've got a buddy that's an outfitter down there. From what I've understand they eliminated the transferable non res landowner tags, and upped the # of tags avail to non res's so you should be able to draw w/o points. That's the theory anyway?
Old 03-20-2008, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will ask the office today and find out what impacts non res tags....

Here are the approved non res changes so far..
[*]A non-resident white-tailed deer permit (available by drawing) valid within a deer management unit and one additional adjacent unit, hunting in the season (early muzzleloader, archery, or firearms) designated upon application. Transferrable non-resident permits will not be available.[*]A non-resident either-species, either-sex deer stamp – available in designated units and in limited numbers in a secondary drawing of applicants who draw an archery or muzzleloader-only white-tailed deer permit.
So, no.... there are no transferrable permits
Old 03-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks King for your help. Thats bad news for us to go this year. Maybe with more tags in the pool we will get picked!BUT i'm not that lucky!! THANKS!anymore info would be helpfull!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 03-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Jack,

I live in Kansas and have taken many trophy whitetails in Kansas. (All on private land). The rules are changing this year. They are going to give out more non-resident permits.

But this is how it worked in the past. Landowners of 80 acres or more were eligible to put in the non-resident draw and draw up to 50% of those permits. They could sell them as they saw fit. They could sell them give them away or whatever they wanted to do with them.

These permits were good for anybody or everybody who didn’t already hold a Kansas antlered deer tag. Resident or non-resident alike could use these tags. In most cases the tags went for huge dollars. I hunt 25,000 private acres all to my wife, son and self. We sold the permits for the rancher and swapped hunts also.

Also land owners could get a landowner permit that was good only on there land. It was also only good for the owner of the land or close family members. And ranch-hands workers on the property.

As Kansas was the last state to open its doors to non-residents the rules changed slightly over the years. Landowner permits in the later years were good for family members, up to cousins and brother-in-law’s and such. Uncles, Aunts and those family members along with workers on the ranch. They were not transferable to just anybody.

So in the past there were basically 2 types of tags a landowner could get. Those called landowner tags good for family members and the transferable tags that they could sell, or give away to anybody.

Hope that clears some of the confusion for you. I haven’t seen the regs for this year but I am to understand that there are no more transferable tags but many more non-residents will be able to draw.

Goatslayer……..
Old 03-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help!! Maybe we will get lucky. How do you read these new regs? Do you think they are good or bad? I see this as a problem for hunters that booked thisyearcounting on the transfer tags thru a outfitter! bad luck for them and bad luck for me! Man I was pumped when my buddy ask me to hunt Kansas. I could hunt South Dakota with him for whitetail or mule deer, Its a rifle hunt and I rather stick one with the bow then shoot one 200 yards with a gun. Nothing wrong with that just the way I feel. I hope we draw because I see and hear about the big deer that comefrom your state!! Be Safe!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 03-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the complete list of changes:

TOPEKA -- The Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission has approved a variety of changes in deer hunting equipment and deer permits. The action came at a public hearing in Topeka March 13, and the changes take effect in the 2008 deer seasons.
Among changes in legal deer hunting equipment approved by the commission are the following:
[ul][*]Kansas deer hunters will be allowed to hunt with scopes on their muzzleloaders during the state’s early muzzleloader deer season. In the past, only open or peep sights were allowed during that early season, although scopes were allowed on muzzleloaders during the regular firearms season.[*]Regulations on broadhead types legal for archery hunting were amended to require points that are at least 7/8-inch wide, but now can be made of other than metal materials, such as knapped stone.[*]Crossbows of at least 125 pounds draw weight will be allowed during the regular firearms deer season.[*]Hard-cast lead bullets will be allowed in muzzleloaders and rifles. [/ul]
Another regulation approved by the commission establishes the types of deer permits available, including the following:
[ul][*]A resident any-season white-tailed deer permit (available over the counter) which may be used during any season (early muzzleloader, archery, or firearms) with equipment legal for that season.[*]A non-resident white-tailed deer permit (available by drawing) valid within a deer management unit and one additional adjacent unit, hunting in the season (early muzzleloader, archery, or firearms) designated upon application. Transferrable non-resident permits will not be available.[*]A non-resident either-species, either-sex deer stamp – available in designated units and in limited numbers in a secondary drawing of applicants who draw an archery or muzzleloader-only white-tailed deer permit.[*]A special hunt-on-your-own-land deer permit available to individuals, regardless of residence, who are lineal ascendants or descendants (or spouses), as well as siblings of resident landowners. Transferrable hunt-on-your-own-land permits will not be available. [/ul]
-----------------------------------------------------
Here's my 2 cents on the rule changes.

One big arguement brought from by the KDWP was to increase hunter opportunity. And I agree that with the changes they made, you have more times that you can hunt, and even with more efficient weapons/easier seasons.

IMO, the KDWP addressed a problem in the wrong way, to benefit their commercial objective. The main problem for hunters is quality access, not opportunity to hunt. These changes cause the hunting land to be even more congested.

I hated Transferrable Land-owner tags, as it was a scam from the beginning, but is a huge increase of NR tags really a better alternative? The KDWP wants us to think so. Many units will now have a 100% draw success, crowding any hunting lands even further. The problem of quality hunting access just took a big step backwards... again. I could go on & on, but everything has already been said.

Here's a good read on the subject, it you want to know a lot more.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/regional/thread.cfm?threadid=151883&MESSAGES=82&sta te=KS
Old 03-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man that is a real pee match on the Bowsite. We lost the xbow fight in Pa and I don't see a change in the bowhunting here. Don't sweat that to much . Man that early ML season for bucks is a bummer. I would be pi$$ed if that happen in PA. They did put a early ML season in the Pa archery 3 days and its Doe only not BUCKS. When you break it all down, to me it seems it all about the $$$$$. Same thing here in Pa. The Game Commision is almost broke and it needs a Lic increase. I feel for you Bro and thanks for your help!!!

Hatchet Jack