Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Leupold CDS for 444

Old 05-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Spike

I will post pics of what I get for sure mrbb, and I enjoy other hunters stories and pics of there hunts.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Spike

I decided to go with a VX3i 3.5~10 40mm. Price was hard to beat at $299.00. I sighted it in at 100 yards but maxed the elevation out.
I have a one piece Leupold base with medium quick release rings.
I would like to get a CDS dial or at least get it a few inches high at 100.
Any ideas on getting more elevation?
Old 07-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

you should be able to get a base with more elevation in it, or you could shim the rings or base with some brass shims
but that's very odd to me to be maxed out of elevation at a 100 yards on it?
are you sure you got the correct base for the model gun you have it on??
Old 07-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

I'm doubting very seriously he has the correct base mrbb. With that model scope, he should be damn near at the bottom of the dial not the top. I will also throw in my 2 cents on that scope. It is way too much scope for that rifle. I now own 4 of them since dad passed and I got his 2 .444's. The old man went through a lever action phase. At one time he had 17 of the things. He still loved them but sold several of his levers. Myself, lever actions are my favorite CF rifles. While I can, and have, shot long range, I tend to get up close and personal with my game. The .444 by nature of it's bullet is by far not a long range rifle by any means. With a 300 grain bullet, which is about as big as you can get before you start sacrificing a lot of case capacity, 220 yards is about the maximum for a big buck in the Ohio area. They got some fairly large bodied whitetails around there like we have here. As a couple of others mentioned, the sectional density just isn't there. Even using the higher BC FTX bullets from hornady you still won't have trustable penetration speeds over 220 yards. Pistol bullets just aren't made for that kind of range. 220 yards and under, the old .444 Marlin is a damn hard rifle to beat. Especially in heavily wooded areas. Variable power is great. I love it. But I think you would have been much better served with a 2.5-7x than that VX3i you got. That 2.5 would have made you really happy in a wooded encounter at 50 yards. 3.5 you will be picking a hair to shoot at.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Too bad the OP didn't listen to the vast majority of members that responded that have been there and done that offered up what he should have purchased! It's also obvious that if he's maxed out the elevation at 100 yards on that new scope that he doesn't have the proper base since, as was pointed out by hunters_life, he should be almost at the bottom of the dial and not the top. I see no way he should start screwing around with shims, but rather get the proper equipment that's designed for what he has.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-15-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-15-2017, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I fully agree, that he most likely has the wrong base for the gun, I gave the advice of shims as a ??? so so way to correct, but I wouldn;t do it myself
but it is what what was done to many long range guns back yrs before they made special based with MOA built into them for long range work, so it can be done and done well, but in todays world there is no real need to be shimming anything!

I had a gun shop for many many yrs and installed countless scopes, so do have some honest background here

and again, IF the OP wants a CDS capable scope, its his decision, there is IMO again NOTHING wrong with having a scope you want on ANY rifle, its YOUR rifle, set it up as you like, you cannot make someone want what you like or feel is best.
YES 99 % of lever guns in this caliber will; have a lower power scope and owners will be fine, but to those that want larger, there is also nothing wrong with it, proper base and rings and there is NO issue with zero on them or elevation , its the same as any rifle then with correct set up

I have 20+ power scopes on some .22's due to serious shooting matches between friends in the past, is there a real reason to NEED a 20+ power scope on a .22 NO
but doesn't make me bad or wrong for having a gun set up as I wish, the same as the OP here??
Come on guys, no need to try to make someone do as you feel is better?
Old 07-15-2017, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you need to quit getting so butthurt any time someone suggests something that differs with your expert opinion mrbb! PS: Your use of question marks a lot of times really is not where or why they should be used, but please don't get bent out of shape with this comment either!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-15-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Spike

The base and rings came with the gun and seem to be right, but could be wrong. They are Leupold.
I put the same scope on my Ruger #1 45-70 and had no issues with elevation. I've got 2 more 444p's to install scopes and ordered new Leupold bases and rings which will be the correct ones from my gunsmith. I'll know in the next week or so.
As far as the having the variable scope, I've used them all my life and have appreciated seeing what I was shooting at better when it's say 200 yards or so.
I can see better with 10 power than 7.
Anything that's close the 3.5 setting works great for me and never been to much magnification.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you're happy! Now let us know when you get the rig squared away!
Old 07-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Glad you're happy! Now let us know when you get the rig squared away!
I'll let y'all know asap! I've got some nice leather slings ordered to. When I figure out how to post pics I'll do that.
Thanks everyone for your input, I enjoy opinions other than mine. Makes me think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.