Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Leupold CDS for 444

Old 04-18-2017, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mrbb
well MAYBE you cannot read his simple question.post?
he stated THIS<

What Leupold scope model that has the dial should I get
And the answer is NONE which is what I and several others clearly opined! For what he has and where he wants to hunt he doesn't need that scope and would be better off served with a fixed power. But since you're so adamant about this, by all means spend all your $$$ on a piece of gear you don't need. I don't really care. Happy now?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
And the answer is NONE which is what I and several others clearly opined! For what he has and where he wants to hunt he doesn't need that scope and would be better off served with a fixed power. But since you're so adamant about this, by all means spend all your $$$ on a piece of gear you don't need. I don't really care. Happy now?
SO your answer is NONE< brilliant, that helps him pick a leupold scope out for what he wanted??
OR< maybe he already HAS some leupold scopes and just wanted to have that option added

and What's wrong with a 4x12, or 4x 14.5 scope?? you still get that 4x power you seem to love, I doubt anyone using a big lever gun is all that worried about a few extra OZ's of weight!
with your logic again, that is like saying there is NO reason anyone should EVER use a vari powered scope on , a BB gun, OR an X box, OR a Muzzleloader
as all them things will be used in MOST all cases at under 200 yards??
I personally think you have NO CLue what a CDS system is, and or adds to a scope
its JUST a option to HELP those that wish to be MORE accurate, than using a HOLD over idea!

heck there is a MANY folks that think a lever gun should be OPEN sights only too
??
there is a reason they make and sell better tools, maybe you are OLD and too willing to see the advantages of modern tools?
I don't know, I'm NOT you!

DO I feel better, ?? DO YOU?

you seem to be the one stirring the pot trying to Sell your VIEW !
a GOOD 4 power scope and a GOOD CDS scope isn;'t that HUGE a difference in costs, last one I bought I paid under 400 bucks, and I consider that money well spent on a good optic
that will last a life time??

SO< keep selling YOUR ONLY a 4x scope is needed!!

guess the scope company's should stop making others that can be FITTED on a big bore lever action gun??
as MAN the problems they must cause those that wish to put one on them!! must make them go nuts being more precise with shot placements??

HOW Much of a 4x scopes reticle ( first OR second plane reticle too)covers a target at 200 yards, and then how much on a 14 power one??
as JUST examples here, in case you never thought about this??

OR am I supposed to just say WELL ITS a BIG bore, a little off does't matter??
YES and NO
but but whats wrong with trying to be a good as you can, isn't that the goal to be as human as possible, and well, hate to bust your bubble, the more accurate you can be the better this works, ALSO helps you see more things like small twigs and such, you can MISS with a 4x??

HEY< after all its not YOU the guy wanted the scope for!

SO< stick this in your hat and call it what ever
I'm, done here
you keep your opinion, I will keep mine!
Old 04-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

SO your answer is NONE< brilliant, that helps him pick a leupold scope out for what he wanted??
OR< maybe he already HAS some leupold scopes and just wanted to have that option added

and What's wrong with a 4x12, or 4x 14.5 scope?? you still get that 4x power you seem to love, I doubt anyone using a big lever gun is all that worried about a few extra OZ's of weight!
with your logic again, that is like saying there is NO reason anyone should EVER use a vari powered scope on , a BB gun, OR an X box, OR a Muzzleloader
I personally think you have NO CLue what a CDS system is, and or adds to a scope
its JUST a option to HELP those that wish to be MORE accurate, than using a HOLD over idea!

heck there is a MANY folks that think a lever gun should be OPEN sights only too
??
there is a reason they make and sell better tools, maybe you are OLD and too willing to see the advantages of modern tools?

a GOOD 4 power scope and a GOOD CDS scope isn;'t that HUGE a difference in costs, last one I bought I paid under 400 bucks, and I consider that money well spent on a good optic

guess the scope company's should stop making others that can be FITTED on a big bore lever action gun??
as MAN the problems they must cause those that wish to put one on them!! must make them go nuts being more precise with shot placements??

HOW Much of a 4x scopes reticle ( first OR second plane reticle too)covers a target at 200 yards, and then how much on a 14 power one??

YES and NO
but but whats wrong with trying to be a good as you can, isn't that the goal to be as human as possible, and well, hate to bust your bubble, the more accurate you can be the better this works, ALSO helps you see more things like small twigs and such, you can MISS with a 4x??

I'm, done here
How many hours has it taken you to keep posting with the same repetitive information that doesn't make any sense for a 244 caliber short range rifle? You do see that all the other members posting are helping the OP with what he really needs and that YOU are the only one dissenting don't you? It would seem that would tell a person that just maybe the information you have given the OP doesn't fit his particular short range situation. I guess not in your particular case and we'll just agree to disagree and hope the OP follows what all the others members have offered and doesn't waste his hard earned money on something he doesn't need.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

??

YES and NO

I'm, done here
You're right. Me and all the other guys are wrong. Only your precious viewpoint is correct. How dare the rest of us actually give some sound advice.

I mean, what could I possibly know about it? Hunted 13 states, 2 Canadian Provinces and done 5 African safaris. Taken whitetail deer, blacktail deer, mule deer, whitetail/mulie hybrids, bighorn sheep, stone sheep, mountatin goat, elk, black bear, pronghorn antelope, bison, wild boar, alligator, aoudad, blackbuck, southern greater kudu, cape kudu, cape eland, impala, blesbok, gemsbok, red hartebeest, wesrtern hartebeest, black wildebeest, blue wildebeest, waterbuck, vall rhebok, warthog, bushpig, oribi, nigerian bohor reedbuck, western roan, zebra. Oh and you can add about 30 more species to that, some of which I seriously doubt you've even heard of. Perhaps you would like to look at the album I have on this site?

Also served 25+ years on active duty and qualified as expert on the M-4, M-9, M-14, M-2, MK-19, MK-44, made 9 combat deployments and have engaged an armed enemy at ranges over 500 yards. But hey, I bow to your "expertise" since I'm obviously not qualified to comment on this topic. I'm done with you and your bullcrap.

Last edited by flags; 04-18-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:26 AM
Typical Buck

Just a suggestion, but maybe we should wait until the OP comes back so they can clarify what they want out of the gun.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
Just a suggestion, but maybe we should wait until the OP comes back so they can clarify what they want out of the gun.
I doubt that is going to happen since the OP hasn't even logged back onto the site in the 11 days since he made his post! Therefore, this thread didn't run him away from here as was suggested by mrbb.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Talstar1234
I've got a Marlin 444 that I'm going to be using for deer in Ohio. What Leupold scope model that has the dial should I get?
It is more common than not that people respond to questions posted here to offer personal insight and opinions when answerering questions.

For you situation I am including a link to the Leopold site where there are 2 videos that will clearly explain what CDS is and how to install it. There is also all the information you could want about the system at that link.

I see that the 260-grain .444 rises 2" above line of sight just before 100 yards and drops to 6" below line of sight at 200 yards. I'm sure that CDS could be provided for that as the CDS are made specifically for each round.

Now for my personal opinion. I see the .444 as a 200 yard deer gun. Many times when deer hunting every second counts. Personally, I would not want to be wasting any time clicking a dial when I have a shot opportunity at an animal I wish to harvest. There are several fixed power scopes (say 4X) that have reticles that represent X inches at X yards that allow you to compensate for shot distance by where you place the reticle.

https://www.leupold.com/resources/custom-dial-system/
Old 04-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Exactly Uncle Matt and just another reason to go with that lower fixed power scope all but one member has recommended the OP go with.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

My $.02:

With a proper bullet, appropriate scope, known velocity and ballistic coefficients, and either a good ballistics program or a lot of range time, I think it's a viable proposition to stretch out the 444's range. If you account for the substantial drop involved, I bet those big .429", 265 to 300 grain bullets will kill deer at ranges far beyond what you'd expect.

A big drawback I can see is the gun itself. While my experience with lever actions is quite limited, I can't see them being all that accurate. While this isn't an issue at the close ranges at which most 444 users shoot, it could quickly become an issue at longer ranges. You would also have to contend with the usual issues facing long-range shooters, namely the rapid bullet drop and potential for wind drift.

In conclusion, is a 444 with a ballistic compensating scope a viable hunting weapon? Certainly. However, I feel you would be better served with a bolt-action rifle in a standard cartridge if you think you'll have to shoot at ranges beyond what a 444 is normally used for, even if you are just as likely to hunt in timber where shots may not exceed 50 yards. If you're set on a 444 Marlin, I highly recommend a 4x fixed or 2-7x variable scope.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
My $.02:

With a proper bullet, appropriate scope, known velocity and ballistic coefficients, and either a good ballistics program or a lot of range time, I think it's a viable proposition to stretch out the 444's range. If you account for the substantial drop involved, I bet those big .429", 265 to 300 grain bullets will kill deer at ranges far beyond what you'd expect.

A big drawback I can see is the gun itself. While my experience with lever actions is quite limited, I can't see them being all that accurate. While this isn't an issue at the close ranges at which most 444 users shoot, it could quickly become an issue at longer ranges. You would also have to contend with the usual issues facing long-range shooters, namely the rapid bullet drop and potential for wind drift.

In conclusion, is a 444 with a ballistic compensating scope a viable hunting weapon? Certainly. However, I feel you would be better served with a bolt-action rifle in a standard cartridge if you think you'll have to shoot at ranges beyond what a 444 is normally used for, even if you are just as likely to hunt in timber where shots may not exceed 50 yards. If you're set on a 444 Marlin, I highly recommend a 4x fixed or 2-7x variable scope.
First off, you don't "bet" or guess what a particular cartridge will do at a given distance. That's what the ballistic tables you mentioned are designed for and if you look at one you'll see that the 444 has a huge drop after 200 yards and will not kill humanely at long distance due to it's lack of ft/lbs of energy as you stretch much beyond that distance. In conclusion, particular calibers are not meant to "stretch the range" of what they were designed for and why everyone but one member has advised the OP to use a fixed power scope and keep the shots at what the 444 was designed for and it's not to "lob" bullets at distance at a living animal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.