Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Keeping doe-in-heat lure to next year >

Keeping doe-in-heat lure to next year

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Keeping doe-in-heat lure to next year

Old 10-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Spike

Default Keeping doe-in-heat lure to next year

Has anyone had any luck with keeping doe-in-heat urine and using it successfully the next year? I bought a big 2 oz. bottle of it and got my buck the second time I used it. Well over 3/4 of the bottle left. It' s in a brown glass bottle, which should help keep it fresh, but I' m not sure about for a whole year. How about freezing it? Would that work, or does that break it down in some way?
Old 10-26-2003, 10:10 AM

Default RE: Keeping doe-in-heat lure to next year

the urine breaks down to amonia, probably before you even buy it. But I think what the attractive part of it is the scent of the glands not urine itself. Im not expert on this but that is my understanding and it makes sense to me (no pun intended) Ive been using synthetics for the past 2 seasons, they have an indefinate shelf life and I had some success with them last year. my 2 cents ( again no pun intended )
Old 10-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I put my leftovers in a plastic ziploc and keep in the refridgerator. If you freeze it it will sepperate. I was told this by a lure maker. As jasonthehunted stated about the urine turning to amonia it does so that is why you should know and trust the maker of your lure. You might not be able to detect it with your nose but the deer sure can. And this happens I' ve been told in nationaly advertized lures. Thats why I stay with a smaller company who doesn' t mass produce as much as the big boys.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:07 PM

Take the bottle and leave it outside with the lid off for a few days, the amonia will dicipate into the air and be as good as new.