Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Things you've learned this year..Tips..and my new secret lure exposed.. >

Things you've learned this year..Tips..and my new secret lure exposed..

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Things you've learned this year..Tips..and my new secret lure exposed..

Old 05-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Things you've learned this year..Tips..and my new secret lure exposed..

Please share your tips and things you have learned this year.

A. I learned the new moon and 2 days before are great..BUT just like last month,,the very next day the fish have lock jaw..

B. If you are missing strikes/hits with a 7 'medium heavy rod ..try switching to a 7 ' medium rod..The fish don't seem to spit out the lure as fast and she engulfs the fast action tip..my catch ratio has tripled.

C. Leave your favorite lure at home and make yourself fish something new all morning..Something you heard was good but just keep ignoring it...this is how I discovered the Horny Toad..it looked stupid ..until I had over 20 fish boil up under it..nothing under 15 inches..

D. When fishing a Rooster tail..use a snap swivel..this spinner although is good will mess up your spool of line within 1 hour.I saw a video clip.the entire spinner twist about 10 times on every cast..NOT GOOD.

E, New lure exposed..Ok fellows..here is my new lure I've tried..and have only caught quality bass..It's my number #1 lure It's the Horny Toad by zoom..I use green colors..Bullfrog is my favorite but I can't find it anymore..so I use watermelon..For Florida and it's heavy cover..IMHO the absolute best lure out there..My catching ratio tripled when I switched to a medium rod..let the fish inhale the lure ..tight line SET!!!fight is on.. Also..when you hookthe toad..bring the hook right up the toad's butt.This will catch more fish and keep the toad from slipping down off the 4/0 hook.They aint cheap..5 for 4.17 at Walmart. The hook is 100% weedless..it fits into a grove and no matter how you cast it..the hook is always up.

Here's a Horny Toad.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Things you've learned this year..Tips..and my new secret lure exposed..

I learnt that working 70+ hrs a week and having an 8 month old boy = no time to fish.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Things you've learned this year..Tips..and my new secret lure exposed..

I learned about the Rebel Minnow F49. Its only 1.5 inches and 1/16oz., but its a fish catching machine when worked properly. I've always had one in the tackle box, but never used it. I've always went with my rapala baits because theyhave served me well and havent let me down, butabout 2-3 months agoI was fishing a new holeand wasnt having too much luck with the Rapala flaoter minnows, they were diving too deep and getting caught up in the vegetation. I thought what the heck, ill give the cheap old rebel minnow a try. I cast it out, counted to ten before making my retrieve, and then did two little twitches right as I started a slow retrieve.During the second twitch, the line went tight and took off. The retrieve was a slow retrieve witha full turn of the reeltaking about 2 seconds each turn.I finished my fishing within one hour and had everything from crappie,bass,and perch swallow that lure entirely. As soon as I feel the hit, or feel the line go tight, I jerk, I do not wait for the fish to take off with it before setting the hook. I have only lost one fish setting the hook right when i feel a hit, and I think it was becuase he missed the lure entirely. The color is silver with a black stripe on the back. Only problem I have had is that I cant find the lure any more. It appears to have been replaced by some holographic colored ones which I havent tried yet, but Im sure I wont like just because it wasnt what i was originally looking for . I'll see if I can take a picture of it and post it for everybody, though Im sure most of you prolly have one in your tackle gear already.

On another note, ive noticed that the type of knots that i use on my crank baits actually affects the motion of the lure. My father in law has a pool that I occasionally use to test a lure out to see if I like the action of the lure, or to try out different retrieving styles to get the action that I want. That way, I can see what the lure does with different styletwitches, pulls, jerks, etc. While casting and retrieving multiple lures, I noticed that certain knotts created better movements with mycrank baits, particularly my wounded minnow baits. The best knott thatI have noticed for my crankbaits is the Rapala Knott, which basically forms a loop for the lure eyelet so that the knott isnt applying any pressure or torque on the lure when being retrieved. It has worked well and I urge others to try it out on your crank baits, minnows in particular. Best of Luck.

Oh yeah, as far as worms go, ZOOM June Bug colored worms and Cotton Candy colored worms. Cotton Candy for clear water with rocky bottoms, and the June bug for everything else, haha. Texas styleweedless with a bullet slip sinker.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

The Rapala Knot..animated..[/align][/align]http://www.animatedknots.com/rapala/index.php[/align]
Old 05-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with pretty much everything posted. However, a case of the lock jaw will not prevent me from casting at them.

I've just started using Power Pro, and am a big fan. I still like a horny toad better, but my other weedless frogs took a stiff rod and line with absolutely zero stretch to ever get a solid hookset.

I've also recently started using the Booyah version of the chatterbait. Think they call it a boogie bait or something. Anyway, the bass have been hitting it like crazy.

This year, I've filed the barbs off of most of my hooks. I've also taken the front set of treble hooks off all of my crankbaits. Still catching as many fish, just a lot fewer obstacles. Also having a much easier time getting the hooks out of the fish.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also having a much easier time getting the hooks out of the fish.
that is so un-like you, i mean letting something off the hook[:-][:@]
Old 05-27-2009, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

Down here in Alabama the only place horney toads work is at Guntersville Lake , but at Weiss Lake the DO NOT work it took me over 2 hours of throwing it to even get a hit.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

I don't care what you say crankbaits and zoom u tail worms catch the most fish. Last year i caught one that weighted a little bit over 11 lbs. with a black zoom trick worm rigged weightless. That is the best baits for the money.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I learnt that working 70+ hrs a week and having an 8 month old boy = no time to fish.
[:-][&o][:@][:@]

yeeeeooowwww, but i can relate, glad work is holding up good for you lot of guys here are real slow, given a few years you'll have the best fishing buddy you could have asked for
Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

The lure i have had the most sucess with is the rapala DT 6 . Have any comments?

Quick Reply: Things you've learned this year..Tips..and my new secret lure exposed..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.