Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting after a full moon

Old 10-12-2003, 09:58 AM

Default Hunting after a full moon

Even though we had a full moon the past couple of days I was out hunting before day light ( i hardly needed a flashlight to get to my area,but used it for safety). Didn' t see or hear a thing while hunting both days;saw more deer while driving to the site! I stopped around 9 AM, but heard a shot in the woods around 10. Do you think these deer come out later when there' s a full moon? I wouldn' t mind sleeping in and hunting later. I know the deer were moving in the early hours as I could see them trying to cross the road around 5:30 AM EST. I' m wondering if i should be hunting from 9 to 2, rather than 6 to 9 in the morning after a full moon shining the night before. You guys have any experienceon this?
Old 10-12-2003, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting after a full moon

Well I hunt no matter what the moon is doing. I do believe it does have some what a impact on what the deer are going to do. Dont quote me on this I did read some where that if you have a full moon, the next day the deer will be moving around more during the day time hours. Dont ask me why thats all they said.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

The shot you hear may have been someone squirrel hunting. I know here in Jersey it opened up and have run into one guy hunting. I was hoping they would get the deer moving cause like you said I see more driving than on stand during a full moon.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:20 AM

A guy I work with is a much better hunter than I am. He gets a buck every year (I usually get one about once every 6 years on average), and he told me that during a Full Moon the deer can feed all night, and you won' t see many at dusk or dawn. Best time to hunt is in the afternoon (11 to 1).
On the other hand, on dark nights, THEN the mornings and evenings become productive.