Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting the full moon?

Old 11-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Spike

Default Hunting the full moon?

I will not get back out into the woods untill Dec 12th. I know the full moon is on the 15th. My last hunting trip was on the full moon and I did not see nearly as many deer as other times. Does anyone have any sugestions for the best times to be in the woods or where to set up to intercept a nice deer. Part of me wondered if the morning was not worth it since they had so much light at night. And if it is clouded over and no moon light gets through does this change anything? I am hunting in the Blue Ridge mountains of N.C. Any advice or info would be greatly apreciated.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:01 PM

Default RE: Hunting the full moon?

full moon is a hard time to hunt.I have found my best time to see deer is from noon to about 3 pm.depending on what time the moon rises and sets.they feed all night and layup in the morning and evenings. they have to get up and feed a little in the middle of the day.sometimes it is only for a little while , so thats when you want to stay in the woods in the middle of the day.
JMHO, thats the way I do it.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:44 PM

I tend to agree with tc about the noon to 3 pm on the full moon days. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:38 PM

I would agree with the noonish hunt, but I did get a doe this year at about 7:20 a.m. after a full moon.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:37 PM

i find that the best way to hunt a full moon is to set a stand up that intercepts deer before theyreturn to their bedding area. Deer will be on their feet and moving all night in a full moon, returning in the late morning to bed up... Usually i am hesitant to even go near bedding areas but this is a different case by far; the famous DRURY brothers have said the same things in articles and dvd's about hunting the full moon. Obviously they are successful with it, haha
hope this helps you
Old 11-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Moon phases are tough. But hunting when theres a full moon is the toughest. I dont see as many deer. Arrowmaster
Old 11-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

full moons are my slowest days by far. they say deer came out quite a bit in the afternoon on a full moon. it's never worked in my favor. i'm thinking that next year i won't take anydays off during the week of a full moon and will only hunt the weekends. buttt.... if its overcast and cold, well you may have more in your favor as far as getting the deer to move earlier. but you know what they say, A BAD DAY OF HUNTING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Full Moon means a bright night, which in turn means a full night of feeding and then a full day of sleeping. Just hope for an overcast night. Find out where they bed and set up near by.