Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk hunting the full moon

Old 02-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Spike

Default elk hunting the full moon

Hello everyone, I've elk hunted 3 out of the last 4 years in co. I always hunt the week before muzz. comes in. Anyway my question is 2 of the years was very good and 1 was not good at all,it was a full moon. Just wondering if anyone has any luck on the fuul moon. This year is going to be a full moon again. Is there any diff. methods of hunting to try or pick another week. Thanks for all the replies, this forum is fiiled with truly some great hunters that give some great advice. Thanks again.
Bill
Old 02-14-2006, 08:52 PM

Default RE: elk hunting the full moon

Well actually i had the same problem this year when i went out there was a full moon but it turned out to be good because the elk we're out all night feeding but because there is little pressure where i hunt they didnt go far and didn't even go into the bush. Really it all depends on how hot it is going to be the next because if it is they will get their feeding done fast then retreat back to the woods. If there is alot of hunting pressure or not also determines if they will get their feeding done with the full moon or stay out in the open and also the time of the year.If it is during rut the full moon really wont matter it just gives the bulls more time to do their thing. But i find that if you either go during rut for elk or just before your season is over because by the end the elk are no longer spooked and actually start to chirp and bugle a bit because they have no threat. But yes if you can try to avoid the full moon.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:27 PM

i think i will try lethals trick...just hunt at night with the full moon! or did you mean they went back to the bush in the morning????
anyways, i HATE hunting the full moon for elk. mostly during the rut. the bulls attend thier cows at night and sleep all day and stay in the dark woods. i even have a hard time getting one up to rub thier horns. at all possible do not hunt during the full moon. good luck to ya
Old 02-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would still hunt as hard during the full moon. I have found that the middle of the day can be good at this time, especially if the weather is on your side. The elk will need to feed and water at some point during the day. Knowing the bedding areas and the feed areas will help out greatly in this situation. Wheter the moon is on or not, the rut still happens. I have killed about half of my elk in the middle of the day. And many during the full moon. Most guys will avoid this time because of the moon, there is a good chance that the elk will be less pressured. Lots of bugling and action doesn't always mean good hunting. It only takes one elk at one time to make your hunt successful. Hunt hard and keep the wind in your face.....................
Old 02-14-2006, 10:25 PM

i think i will try lethals trick...just hunt at night with the full moon! or did you mean they went back to the bush in the morning????

no i hunt in the morning. But yah if it is freezing out those elk wont be bedded long because they'll start to get cold and have to move around and who knows it maybe a full moon but that night there maybe cloud cover all night. I also agree with elkcrazy there i have shot both of my elk in the middle of the day and seen and heard of lots that have been harvested in the middle of the day so elk are definitely an all day hunt.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Hunting the "Full Moon" is impossible, it's way out of bow-range!!! <grin>

But you can hunt elk at this time!!! You just adapt to the time of year & month. As some have stated, they've killed bulls at this time, I can also throw my hat into the arena of success during this time!!

Sure bulls & cows both hit it hard during the night only to be tired & worn out come morning!! But they get mighty heated up as well from all their courting, sparring & bickering!! They like cooling down at this time & wallows/waterholes are a good way to do this! Elk, especially bulls, will hit these beforeheading to their beds, cows & calves can also entertain themselves there as well.

Concentrate your efforts at active wallows, (being used) be there by light & 2-hours after. From 11:00 to 3:00 & again the last 2-hours of daylight, you can take this little recipe to the bank, you will have an opportunity to kill a bull. A treestand is best suited for this & a lot of patience!! Once you get to your treestand/wallow area, splash the wallow vigourisly with a short stick, (about 3'-4' long) give off a couple good gutteral growls & a short growly bugle, this more like letting out frustration than a challenge, then splash around again for 10-15sec., that's it!!! Now get into your stand & be patient, you just let any elk know within earshot that elk were in the wallow. Sit tight & don't call anymore, you want them to think you've left!!

You've now given any elk around on their way to bedding or getting up from their beds a direction to check out who was there, they'll do this by smell. Wallows are hardest hit the last two weeks of Aug. to the first half of Sept. then it tapers off some, they still hit them, just not as frequent.

ElkNut1
Old 02-15-2006, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

DON'T DO IT!!!
Old 02-15-2006, 01:26 PM

Elk seem to head to bedding areas earlier than with less moonlight. So out in the woods extra early is imparative. In fact, one of my favorite things to do is to get up 3 - 4 am and jump in the truck. Drive to areas I know have been popular with the elk and buggle & cow talk for a while. If I get no response, I move on tro the next hiddy-hole and repeat. When I hit a spot where I do get a reaction, that's where I hunt. And it's right at the buggle, slow, slow, slow. 5 steps, glass the trees, gaps, and ears twitching. 5 more steps.Look for color. Look for a point sticking up from the downed timber. If you know some wet ground is in the area, great place to sit.
Full moon has it'schallenges, but the elk are still there eating, and making babies. Don't let it keep you from going.
I personnally have shot 70 - 80 % of my elk near dark or dusk.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Spike

Thanks for alll the replies.Iwill be going the same week of the full moon. I still got over 6 months and cant wait. Theres nothing like being in the mnts. for a week of chasing those elk.The only thing better would be for 2 weeks.Thanks again
Bill
Old 02-16-2006, 12:00 PM

Every year there are folks who sit at home during the full moon. Guess what, while those folks are sitting at home the real hunters are out filling their freezers. To be certain it is harder to hunt during the full moon, but you can kill game just as certainly.

Quick Reply: elk hunting the full moon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.