Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HUNTING SAFETY SUGGESTIONS

Old 10-07-2003, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: SAFETY.. INPUT!

I have read posts on this board where some hunters only use flashlights while walking to their stands when the moon doesn' t provide enough light for them to see their way. I always use a flashlight, even when I can see my way. It' s not for my benefit, but so that other hunters don' t confuse me with a deer.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:46 PM

Default RE: SAFETY.. INPUT!

-Dont be intimidated or scared of identifying your self should you be in question as to if you are in harms way.

-Private or public it is always a good Idea to wear your blaze orange while walking in the woods.

-Always have a back up plan

-Dont run with your rifle.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:45 PM

Default RE: HUNTING SAFETY SUGGESTIONS

BUMP

Many have read the post but not all to many suggestions. Please share your suggestions....

Every one who has so far thanks, they are good hutning safety suggestion that I think we all can benifit from.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you hunt in a party or group make sure all members have the same feelings of safety first. It is especially nerve racking when someone in your group goes off half cocked and doesn' t use safe hunting practices. I have found the hard way it is much easier to weed out prior to leaving than once in the field. A good way is to have a sit down over some munchies to discuss safety and each others take. This will keep everybody' s mind at ease when the head out or are pushing bush! Also keeping with the party hunters, make sure your group knows that booze is not part of your hunt. While it is fine to have drink with supper, it is not fine to drink yourself sick. Hunting and booze does not mix, the sooner everybody knows the expectations the better.

Always treat a gun as if it were loaded and as such keep the muzzle in a safe direction and in control at all times.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

I changed the wording of always treat a gun as " if" it' s loaded to as though it' s loaded. to me " if" implies it might not be or it might be if you treat it like it' s loaded seems a safer way.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Five things for tree stand hunters.......

1. NEVER use a pull up line that can hold more than about 25% of your weight. You wouldn' t want to be found hung dead in the woods should you get tangled up in it accidentally.

2. My invention. Since I don' t bow from tree stands, just shotgun, and take my shots sitting. I have seat belts on my stands. Go to the boneyard and pull them out of (my favorites) pick ups, vans (especially conversion vans). Unbolt them and take the whole set up, D-rings and all. Bolt them to your stand seat and use them! You won' t stand a chance of forgetting them cause they are always there.

3. If you use a safety harness, only allow yourself the the minimum amount of slack you can get away with. If you should fall, the more distance you fall before STOPPING the more you' re gonna feel it.

4. If using a harness, try to use a " decellerator" type lanyard rated for your weight. If you do fall, you won' t have a sudden jolt when you come to a stop.

5. Never use a " around the waist type" belt. If you are left to hang from it for even a minute, your diaphragm cannot move and you basically suffocate. Use a proper size, full body harness only.

Two other things..........

1. Always assume there is atleast one broken off arrow shaft with broadhead in every animal when you go to gutting it out. Let the animal do the bleeding.

2. VERY IMPORTANT! NEVER travel afield in the dark without a light on your body. We like the newer carabeener type LED types. They attach to you about anywhere, can be bright, medium, low, fast blink or slow blink. They are available in multiple colors and individual guys can be easily identified by their perspective colors.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 10-08-2003, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

The golden rule of owning a gun:

Treat every gun as if it was loaded!

Old 10-09-2003, 05:38 PM

- You should still ware your helmet on your ATV when heading to your spot.

- When lowering your gun be sure it is clear of all ammo, and when lowering the rifle be sure the barrel is not going to dig into the ground.

- Check all perminant stands for structural integreity before useing (Pre-season)

It is good to see some members have shared very good practices when it comes to hunting saftey.

Please, read through them all and take them in.... and add to the list.

Thanks,

Jred
Old 10-09-2003, 06:40 PM

here is one i like to keep in mind. on windy days, be careful not to park yourself under a tree that might get blown over on you, and be aware of branches that may fall on you.