Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 which hunting safety vest? >

which hunting safety vest?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

which hunting safety vest?

Old 09-05-2005, 07:24 PM

Default which hunting safety vest?

seat of the pants, hunter safety vest or gorilla vest.---the easiest to use and put on---and the safest of the 3 in your opinon.the hunters vest dont come with a linemans attachment does it.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: which hunting safety vest?

Check out the tests of a couple over on www.bowsite.com They feature tests on the SOP and HSS. Very enlightening
Old 09-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the exact SOP "Supreme" model that Bowsite tested in the link Barry gave you........quite simply the thing is fantastic.
The buckles are quick and simple to use, no threading of straps etc....just clip and zip.
Extremely comfortable and secure...you just FEEL safe wearing it.
The pouch in the back allows you to carry your safety rope and any small gear you need as well so it's right there with you.
I used mine setting stands this summer and it's the best I've used by a long shot.

It's pricey as far as harnesses go at around $90-100 but if you feel your life isn't worth a $100?????..............[:-]
IMO every hunter on this board who hunts from a treestand should own this harness. I like to come home at night in one piece so I am only going to trust my well being with what I feel is the very best available.

You guys who hunt with nothing, or hang stands with nothing, or choose to use a cheapy harness or waist strap or God forbid.......a rope only.[:-] I guess you guys have nothing or nobody to live for right?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still use the harness that came with my API tree stand. I've been considering buying a vest system but I am a big guy and push the weight limit on most of those vest harnesses. I'm sure they're tested to exceed their actual rating but I don't want to put my life on the line that way. [&:]
Old 09-06-2005, 07:08 AM

Jeramy:

Keep in mind that the weight limit that you see advertised is for insurance/liability issues. Due to the limited intelligence of some people and the 'sue crazy' attitude that exists, manufacturers have to protect themselves as much as possible.

I don't know your weight situation, but I can assure you that a harness will do several things for you. First, it will break your fall. Second, it can assure you that you will at least fall feet first and not head first. These issues alone can save your life. After all, isn't possible injury far superior to death?

Also, the tests done over on Bowsite were flawed according to tests done at my shop. Both the SOP and HSS performed identically and either would be a good choice.

Good luck and good hunting.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Len, I do use a harness. It just happens to be one of the regular styles that you have to spend 10 minutes untangling and then figure out how to put it on. It's rated for 350lbs which gives me the peace of mind.

Most of the vest systems (like most tree stands) are rated to 300lbs. Being a person that weighs in the 290 range I probably exceed the 300lb rating by a few lbswhen I'm fully clothed and carrying my bow and gear. More than likely a device rated at 300lb would do it's job if I fell. But I don't want to take a chance.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lenny, you always have to mess things up for me. I can get an HSS for nothing and was hesitating. Now I guess I'll have to call "the man".

Jermay, not to argue with you but I've never seen a weight limit on a harness system. Maybe I'll have to look harder. There are weight limits posted for the treestands themselves. Is it possible this is what you are referring to? I know most harness systems will hold a lot of weight--like a couple thousand pounds.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

BG, yeah if you look at Cabela's website they have weight ratings for the safety vest systems. I did find one made by Rocky that I'm going to check out this weekend. Looks to have similar features to the SoP and HSS vests and in the same ballpark as price.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

The biggest difference I see between the 2 vests tested are the Summit has 2leg straps that areattached to the back of the vestand the Hunters Safety Vest only has one that appears to fit like a thong on the backside.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:37 PM

Jeramy:

One of my employees is well over 400# and HSS built a vest for him. Due to the liability issue with the insurance company, he signed a release form. There is no doubt that the vest will hold him, it's the insurance companies that don't want to take any risks, or at least want to limit their risks.

Sideways:

The 'thong', as you call it, is quite comfortable and benefits the 'deer drag' D hook quite well. You'd have to try it to really understand how well it works. It also allows continuous sitting to standing to sitting without binding up.

I personally like all the pockets in the Pro Series HSS. It really saves me from having to carry a fanny pack and makes locating items very easy.

Quick Reply: which hunting safety vest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.