Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will he be back?

Old 10-05-2003, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Will he be back?

Last night I spoked a huge buck trying to pull back my bow when it was off the rest. I was wondering if this buck will be back. I know it probably will not come back to that particular spot but will it be around the area. The property is just over 100 acres and I spooked it close to the edge of the property. My friends dad said it will definately be back during the rut, but I was wondering if my friend and I still have a chance at this buck?

Do you think big bucks get big because they got lucky and now they have expierience or do you think they get big because they were smart from the beginning?
Old 10-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Will he be back?

Ain' t but one way to find out.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh my buddy your deer is gone for ever. ahh i got you. i would say since it is pretty early in the season he will be back. maybe not in the same spot you saw him. once that rut kicks in he will be around. if you say he is big. look for nice big scraps and rubs set up. good luck
Old 10-05-2003, 10:07 PM

If he is a wise old buck, he will likely avoid that particular spot for a while, but I doubt he will be totally gone from the area. I would hold off hunting that area for at least a few days unless it is your only place to hunt. It is best to avoid pressuring him any more since it is a fairly small block of land - you don' t want him to vacate the premises!

Big bucks will generally stick close to the place they feel the safest until the rut kicks in. If his core area is nearby, he will probably stick around as long as he doesn' t get pushed any more than he already has been.

If it were me, I would wait a few days and then set up in another place along the same run but away from your original spot. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2003, 05:54 PM

I agree with the above posts, as long as you stay outta there a little he should be ok with it. I doubt he will move out unless he is spooked to much, then he wont hesitate to move.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Stick with it, remember you are in his area.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:01 AM

He' ll be back. Although, maybe not the same tree. It seems that they have a way of checking out a tree everytime they are around it after they are spooked. Two weeks ago, my son and I were up a tree and a big buck came in late. He shot over the bucks back at fifteen yards after hitting a branch that he didn' t see. Well that buck came back to the same field the following week, we gave the stand a week off, but the second time, he entered the field from another route. He was spooked from our stand site but passed sixty or so yards behind us on his way to the field. If he is any indication, then...

Greg
Old 10-07-2003, 08:15 AM

They get big because they get educated like that one just did.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with benhuntin. Deer get educated. As for your deer, He' ll be around the area, just stay in there and hunt hard. You' ll get your chance.[8D]