Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Back off the poundage or build back up? >

Back off the poundage or build back up?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Back off the poundage or build back up?

Old 01-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Back off the poundage or build back up?

Now that my physical therapy is almost complete after my shoulder surgery, I'm shooting my bow regularly again. I was slightly over-bowed at 70# before, but now I can only manage about 15 shots before I start to shake so bad that it's pointless to keep shooting. Also, even when I'm just starting, my accuracy is gone.

I've been considering backing my Drenalin down to 60#, which I believe would be a huge benefit, but I've heard some of you say on here that it would be better to order 60# limbs and max them out instead of having 70# limbs backed down to 60#.

Of course, this will mean buying new arrows, since the GT 7595's will be significantly overspined for a 60# bow.

I know that 60# @ 29" draw would still punch through anything I'm going to hunt.

What do some of you think about these two questions?

1. Shouldn't 60# vs. 70#make it easier to hold on target and improve accuracy?

2. Should I order 60# limbs or just crank the 70# limbs out?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Back off the poundage or build back up?

Order 60# limbs and, if need be, max them out. The bow will be quieter and more efficient this way.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 AM

If you want to get back up to 70lbs at some point in the future then i would just back down the limbs that you have on there and work your way back up.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 AM

Although you can simply back off the limbs to 60# - and that may be the easiest solution if you think you are going back up to 70# fairly soon - you might consider just going to a 60# bow and staying there. They kill real well and will make your "new" shoulder last longer. Also easier to shoot for extended sessions, and easier to draw in cold weather or from cramped positions.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:50 AM

1 yes
2 no just back them down
Old 01-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Of course, this will mean buying new arrows, since the GT 7595's will be significantly overspined for a 60# bow.
Why? Nothing wrong with being OVER-spined (in my book).
Old 01-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't buy anything right now. Just turn the bow down to 60# and enjoy shooting. If you can't handle 60# easy enough you may want to change limbs. If your strength returns, crank it up slowly until you are comfortable. If your strength does not return to a suitable level make a choice then. I like to be able to hold my bow at full draw for about 2 minutes (on a timer) and then make an accurate shot at 20 yards. Don't shoot more than every other day if you want to build strength. Good Luck
Old 01-24-2008, 12:04 PM

just for info use one arm rows to to build up

[/align]
Old 01-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Just so you know (and if you've been through PT you DO know this).

Don't try to build up one arm. With shoulder muscles....work each shoulder, equally.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Why? Nothing wrong with being OVER-spined (in my book).

Sure there is.....
Why, because your arrow will not flex enough if it is overspined. Which results in poor arrow flight. Poor arrow flight is not good (in my Book)! You should shoot an arrow with the correct spine for your Bow if you want good arrow flight.

Quick Reply: Back off the poundage or build back up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.