Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Atv for deer hunting?

Old 02-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
Sorry.. Didn't know you were so thin skinned. "In vino veritas."
I don't think not letting you talk down to me has anything to do with the thickness of my skin.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I don't think not letting you talk down to me has anything to do with the thickness of my skin.
Your right I was way out of line ...I apologize!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey they are an early warning system ... another set of eyes and ears.. let you know somethings there. Try that with a 4 wheeler. Most mules know the smells around where they live. With them it is more the Sight of a wolf or bear than the smell. Especially if your trying to get it to walk up on a dead one.
Well this one is taking some interesting turns... I guess at this time I'd like to make a couple of things clear from my point of view.

KSWild, Flags, and Rock... I honestly respect your ability's to be able to use, and hunt with horses, and mules. To be honest again, I'm envious of that. For me it's not exactly the "Twilight Zone", but it is certainly not an experience I was brought up with, or have ever been exposed too. IMHO it would be great to at least experience something like that at least once in my lifetime.

Now to the GPS... I can't remember the exact year I bought mine, but am thinking that it was in this century. I managed to get by with just my compass since the late 60's, but also feel that the GPS is one of the greatest inventions since the compass... I doubt I'll be following my GPS off of a cliff anytime soon.

As to being lost and having to camp out in the woods... Hell I've purposely camped out in the woods so I'd be lost to everyone else... No big thing there... Try it at zero degrees under a self made lean-two... It's amazing how quickly one learns under those conditions.

Now back to the gist of this thread... Welcome to 2014... Baring anything drastic, wheelers are here to stay in many if not most regions/areas in this nation. Those with any sense seek out the machines that best serve their purpose in the areas they live. I'll admit that I'm out of line trying to tell RR or anyone else what the best machine is for them in their regions/areas. Likewise, anyone else is equally out of line telling me how well a certain machine will work in my area/region unless they can prove they've actually dealt with the conditions that I deal with.

Flags, I'm not sure about the reason for your animosity, but as Rock pointed out, it may very well be the operator, not the wheeler that you should be directing that animosity towards. I can only speak for myself, but can say that I always do my best to make sure that when I'm running my wheelers, or snowmobile that I'm not doing something that is interfering or disrupting someone Else's hunting.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
Well this one is taking some interesting turns... I guess at this time I'd like to make a couple of things clear from my point of view.

KSWild, Flags, and Rock... I honestly respect your ability's to be able to use, and hunt with horses, and mules. To be honest again, I'm envious of that. For me it's not exactly the "Twilight Zone", but it is certainly not an experience I was brought up with, or have ever been exposed too. IMHO it would be great to at least experience something like that at least once in my lifetime.

Now to the GPS... I can't remember the exact year I bought mine, but am thinking that it was in this century. I managed to get by with just my compass since the late 60's, but also feel that the GPS is one of the greatest inventions since the compass... I doubt I'll be following my GPS off of a cliff anytime soon.

As to being lost and having to camp out in the woods... Hell I've purposely camped out in the woods so I'd be lost to everyone else... No big thing there... Try it at zero degrees under a self made lean-two... It's amazing how quickly one learns under those conditions.

Now back to the gist of this thread... Welcome to 2014... Baring anything drastic, wheelers are here to stay in many if not most regions/areas in this nation. Those with any sense seek out the machines that best serve their purpose in the areas they live. I'll admit that I'm out of line trying to tell RR or anyone else what the best machine is for them in their regions/areas. Likewise, anyone else is equally out of line telling me how well a certain machine will work in my area/region unless they can prove they've actually dealt with the conditions that I deal with.

Flags, I'm not sure about the reason for your animosity, but as Rock pointed out, it may very well be the operator, not the wheeler that you should be directing that animosity towards. I can only speak for myself, but can say that I always do my best to make sure that when I'm running my wheelers, or snowmobile that I'm not doing something that is interfering or disrupting someone Else's hunting.
Well Lunker God forbid the economy ever takes a dump but if it does working with livestock's not a bad skill to have.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

RR, I don't use an ATV yet but might have to get one someday. if that is your log house it sure looks nice from what can be seen of it. nice looking area too.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

There was once a time when a guy could pretty much hunt wherever he wanted in my area outside of deer hunting.

Back then mules made a lots of sense. We used them to coon hunt back when hides actually brought enough money to justify housing a mule. It worked great for chasing dogs all over. They jump fences so that alone was a big advantage.

Now days with people coming from all over and paying big money to hunt it just doesn't make sense anymore. Everything is private owned and most fences are either property lines or have gates. The biggest farm I have permission on is 500 acres and it has 2 roads running through it then I have 2 other farms that are about 300 acres each and 70% of that is crop fields.

It just doesn't make sense to use a mule here unless of course its simply because you want to.

I can certainly appreciate it. I do some things the old fashioned way because I like it and if I lived in the mountains and/or had vast expanses of land to use I'd probably use a mule but Ive been around and worked with live stock most of my life from farms to vet work to a slaughter house and to be honest I don't want any part of taking care of a mule I don't need at this point.

Last edited by rockport; 02-08-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Lunker God forbid the economy ever takes a dump but if it does working with livestock's not a bad skill to have.
Umm... Have we been living in the same nation since 2007???

Okay, kidding aside yer absolutely right
Old 02-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Umm... Have we been living in the same nation since 2007???

Okay, kidding aside yer absolutely right
It could get a whole lot worse. Believe it! But that's for another thread!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
There was once a time when a guy could pretty much hunt wherever he wanted in my area outside of deer hunting.

Back then mules made a lots of sense. We used them to coon hunt back when hides actually brought enough money to justify housing a mule. It worked great for chasing dogs all over. They jump fences so that alone was a big advantage.

Now days with people coming from all over and paying big money to hunt it just doesn't make sense anymore. Everything is private owned and most fences are either property lines or have gates. The biggest farm I have permission on is 500 acres and it has 2 roads running through it then I have 2 other farms that are about 300 acres each and 70% of that is crop fields.

It just doesn't make sense to use a mule here unless of course its simply because you want to.

I can certainly appreciate it. I do some things the old fashioned way because I like it and if I lived in the mountains and/or had vast expanses of land to use I'd probably use a mule but Ive been around and worked with live stock most of my life from farms to vet work to a slaughter house and to be honest I don't want any part of taking care of a mule I don't need at this point.
Rock, I spent the fist half of my hunting life with out the aid of livestock, or machines to assist us while deer hunting. I was born in 62, and didn't buy my first wheeler until the late 80's. I'm not exactly a stranger to hunting big woods on foot, and dragging our animals out of the woods with manual labor alone.

That said, this is 2014, and adapting to the times is what it is. I'm now 51 years old, and can't drag a deer like I could at 25 years old. The conditions of hunting areas are changing all across this nation. If someone wants to stick with the way they did it 50, 40 or 30 years ago, more power to them.

I for one have chosen to adapt to the times I'm dealing with today, and for now will continue to do so. Which for me deals with new, and old methods of hunting. No horses or mules for me, but am keeping a 31 year old wheeler running to suit my needs
Old 02-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim
RR, I don't use an ATV yet but might have to get one someday. if that is your log house it sure looks nice from what can be seen of it. nice looking area too.
No, belongs o the man I work for, sits in the middle of 1200 acres (which he gives me full hunting rights) log houses are just to high maintenance for me, I live in a brick rancher.
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.