Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Atv for deer hunting?

Old 02-08-2014, 03:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default Atv for deer hunting?

I used a honda rancher w a silenced muffler to navigate my hunting lease and the noise can be very manageable especially since it is manual shift and u can control the gearing and rpm,s better. However, i need more size and room so the hated side by side is coming into the pic. Others on my lease use them and the cab noise and overall mechanical noise is bad but newer bikes are getting better, at least some of them. Do u have any recommendations for me? Ive tried old jeeps and they are fine but slow and old means mechanical work. Also the electric buggies havent held up on our lease given creeks and excessive water otherwise id get one.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Walking and stalking have never failed me yet. When I get to the point that I can no longer do that, I'll saddle a horse. I have no desire to ever have to resort to a mechanical beast to hunt after I get to an area. Frankly, I hate the things.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few years ago I also walked. Then heel spurs and old age made that difficult. I bought a Kawasaki 650 Brute Force. Bigger then I needed but the price was right. Since then I have used it to deer hunt. I ride it to an area I want to hunt and park it. I haul the deer out on it-sometimes over a mile. Deer do not seem to be afraid of the ATV, they are used to tractors. I think I prefer an ATV over a side by side. They are fun to ride and will go most anywhere. They are cheaper and easier to haul on a small trailer. I can use the small trailer behind the ATV when I get it to the farm. I would like fuel injection, which mine does not have. I could not hunt without one.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

I like the japanese mini trucks. They have heat and air. You need to lift them a little to put atv tires on them, but that's cheap to do. They are quieter than an atv, but I stuck another muffler on it in front of the stock one. It gets used a lot around the farm as well. So far it's made it 11 years without breaking down. In the mountains it's better to use an offset rim that kicks the tires out a bit for a wider stance for the steep off angle trails. The 3 cyl has plenty of power for hauling heavy loads. I honestly can't remember the brand as it's camo now but think it was called a mighty truck.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually I walk and then if I kill one I go get the 4 wheeler out of the truck.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've ran atv's since 1986, they are a big help if you use them right, I currently own 2, an '05 660 grizzley, and a '13 Kawasaki terry-x, if you have the width required no 4-wheeler will go where the side by sides will, if you have a 5' wide trail, and you can walk it, a utv will go there.

RR
Old 02-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you have the width required no 4-wheeler will go where the side by sides will
RR, yer obviously not from Northern Minnesota... I have an 03 Bombardier Traxter Max, but there's no way it or your side by side is going to take me where my 83 Honda Big Red 3 wheeler will in this area... I also have a Yamaha 500 Phazer for when the snow gets too deep... I've run the Bombardier in 10 inches of wet snow, but the Phazer handles it much better.

As far as noise goes, Kawasasaki's are notoriously famous for there engine noise (at least they used to be) I'm not sure if they make any wheeler with a gas engine that's real quiet.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
RR, yer obviously not from Northern Minnesota... I have an 03 Bombardier Traxter Max, but there's no way it or your side by side is going to take me where my 83 Honda Big Red 3 wheeler will in this area... I also have a Yamaha 500 Phazer for when the snow gets too deep... I've run the Bombardier in 10 inches of wet snow, but the Phazer handles it much better.

As far as noise goes, Kawasasaki's are notoriously famous for there engine noise (at least they used to be) I'm not sure if they make any wheeler with a gas engine that's real quiet.
The side x sides do well to the snow gets deeper than 14", I stand by my statement, they go where a 3 or 4 wheeler will not dream of. I have a trail along a steep ridge, in 3 places I have to hold on to a fence to keep my 4-wheeler upright, the side x side doesn't even feel the slightest bit unstable in those spots.

The 3 wheeler for 1 is not 4 wheel drive as the terry-x is, plus the Kawasaki has a locking differential, and a 4000 pound winch for those areas that are not "flat ground"
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 02-08-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

RR, your probably right in hilly, or mountainous regions, but if you introduce your side by side to a Minnesota Spruce Bog you'll be buried in a big hurry... The winch helps, but many times you'll find that there's nothing stout enough around to hook it too... The 3 wheeler with the flotation tires walks across the top of Peat Moss, and if it does get stuck it's light enough to lift out by hand... Another advantage the 3 wheeler has in the bog is the 3 point stance, the rear tires don't run in the tracks of the front... That makes a huge difference in the bog.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Polaris Sportsman 570 to plow my driveway. It seems like a solid machine. It has EFI, plenty of horsepower, and the price was not too bad.

I will never use it for hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.