Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does cammo really matter?

Old 02-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at it this way. White tail deer are about the most "always on alert" critter in the woods. And every white tail deer hunter with any degree of experience understands that a white tail's number one defense by far is the ability to detect scent. An entire industry has grown up around that truth.

For sure, deer can detect even the slightest movement. And they do look up, contrary to the popular jokes. And if a noise is not "woodsy", a deer will absolutely detect it and become even more alert ... freeze or turn back ... or simply haul tail out of there. A "noise mistake" has busted me more than a few times. That is for sure.

Sight ??? Not so much. I am convinced that deer do not relate what they see with danger as readily as either scent or noise. I could be dead wrong about that. But too many times I have had a deer look dead at me. Sometimes withing 10-12 yards. Stare at me for a while, then settle down and keep on feeding, or keep on milling around, or just ease along on the path that they were taking. So, the role of cammouflage, in my opinion, is the least critical to remaining undetected.

However, I am also convinced that colors that blend into the habitat are definitely an advantage, (no endorsement intended). This is especially important to the hunter that has to get close, such as an archer who needs to be within 45-50 yards.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:20 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

At close range of 20 yds or less, you need to conceal your outline. The deer notice odd things that don't seem to belong. My best success at close-range ground hunting is when I am behind some trees in a blind that is not sticking out like a sore thumb. As many will say here, your movement will get you busted more than anything. Also sound will put them on alert. And scent more than anything.

For long range with a gun of 60+ yds, camo is not a factor so much. In fact we have to wear blaze orange. Still, it is helpful to at least be able to conceal half your outline behind a tree and keep movement and noise to a minimum.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Not a huge deal wit deer hunting but I'm a big turkey hunter and you better have good camo on from head to toe while turkey hunting.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Remaining motionless is the BEST camo (the wind also matters) !!!
eos .
Old 02-07-2014, 01:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tnhunter444
I probably should have also mentioned that although a deer's vision is not good at all with respect to seeing "colors", a hog's vision is much better than a deer's and it would be a good idea to at least wear earth tones, or camo, when hunting hogs. Hogs are, of course also much smarter than deer are known to be, so the idea of bright colors worn by hunters could well be something a hog perceives and picks up on faster than a deer might.

BTW, we're just recently back from our annual hog hunt to Georgia and we had a great time once again! Not quite as successful harvest-wise as some other years, but my enjoyment comes with the hunt, not just the harvest!
I may be mistaken and I'm sure not an expert on hogs but I thought that their eye site was terrible. If not, then I learned something new today. Not trying to be a smart a$$, just that's what I always thought.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by browtine7
Not a huge deal wit deer hunting but I'm a big turkey hunter and you better have good camo on from head to toe while turkey hunting.
True that. Won't and can't go in the turkey woods without it.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ha, how does the hunter

, under forty, put that genie back in the bottle.

And the hunter over forty doesn't wonder why he uses stuff from twenty years ago. Why one hunter I know well remembers dragging out a deer from the woods. decades ago, in minus zero weather.
No camo, no modern basewear, no iphone, and only a compass to take him out of those woods. And he still has a wool sweater more than forty years old, that still fits. He doesn't believe in those modern genies, like thirty year olds do.

Try to get a thirty year old hunter to believe that. And believe the old guys feet still work.

Last edited by Valentine; 02-07-2014 at 02:37 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:51 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
, under forty, put that genie back in the bottle.

And the hunter over forty doesn't wonder why he uses stuff from twenty years ago. Why one hunter I know well remembers dragging out a deer from the woods. decades ago, in minus zero weather.
No camo, no modern basewear, no iphone, and only a compass to take him out of those woods. And he still has a wool sweater more than forty years old, that still fits. He doesn't believe in those modern genies, like thirty year olds do.

Try to get a thirty year old hunter to believe that. And believe the old guys feet still work.
I am sure you have a lot of good knowledge under your belt that will not require a guy to refinance his home in order to get into the sport. Maybe this forum could use a section where guys like you could post all your age-old tips and tricks. These are tough economic times for everyone these days and we could use some advice on how to hunt without breaking the bank.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
No camo, no modern basewear, no iphone, and only a compass to take him out of those woods. And he still has a wool sweater more than forty years old, that still fits.
And most likely all while smoking a cigarette, going by the old timers I started hunting with.

That said, I like my modern base layers, I like thinsulate in my boots, and I like polar fleece. Wool is great -- I own some, but good heavy wool is so darn expensive these days.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Big ol red and black wool coats, deer can't see much of anything... Except movement.
Most people who claim to need camo IMO probably can't see deer without them getting antsy because of hunter movement.
I've stalked within yards of bucks on a crunch leaved oak ridge. Anyone Appalachian knows how hard that is, but I did it by utilizing precise timing on movement. your only camo against a deer is staying still. You could be wearing a ghillie Suit but tilt ur head an eight of an inch and its over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.