Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed Antler Traps

Old 12-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
Okay, I've had a question nagging at me since I watched the video of that trap. I doubt anyone will be able to answer it, but who knows?

When that antler was pulled off that deer it took off in a big hurry.

So was the deer startled? Or if a rack is close to, but not quite ready to drop does it actually hurt the deer to pull it off prematurely? Kinda like accidentally tearing off a scab?
I'm not sure. I assumed the antler falling just spooked him but your scab theory seems very realistic.

Its gotta hurt a little right?
Old 12-30-2013, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

And this maybe the reason why nobody comes here anymore. So because one person gets PO'd with the topic they take it to the PM. Really is this 5th grade. Just move to another topic my word.

SOOOOOOO back on topic. There was a thread i believe last year of a albino buck that was caught on trail came dropping his antlers and he jumped like 4 ft in the air. So I would think when a horn falls off it would spoke them. Probably not sure what flew by their head.

I asked a warden one time if it hurt and said no beacause theres no nerve endings there. Thats why a buck can become a bloody mess when he rubs off his velvet and not even react to it.

Last edited by deernutz; 12-30-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is exactly why nobody comes here. You kill a deer and show blood on the video your ruining hunting, you put out an antler trap and your lazy and taking hunting in the wrong direction, you screw up and shoot a deer with a 3 inch spike thinking its a doe your a criminal, you bait deer your not really hunting, you hunt mature deer and your doing a disservice to hunting......and on and on and on.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I respect everyone’s views. TG seems to be a good guy and has a passion for preserving his ways of hunting, and I respect that. But leave the moderators out of this. If we can't argue topics and show each other’s views and opinions then what’s the point of online forums. The catch is you can't take it personal. We all come from different walks of life, and were brought up hunting, fishing and enjoying this great countries backwoods in different ways. You may do something I necessarily don’t agree with but I’m not going to judge u over it. Just my two cents.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I asked a warden one time if it hurt and said no beacause theres no nerve endings there. Thats why a buck can become a bloody mess when he rubs off his velvet and not even react to it.
I hope that's correct, I wasn't sure.

What got me to thinking was that a few Winters ago we went to a boat show where one of the booths was a guy with penned bucks, with some pretty dandy racks. For $20.00 you could get a pic standing in front of one of them.
One of the bucks had dropped an antler that morning, and there was a bloody stump were it had been.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deernutz
I respect everyone’s views. TG seems to be a good guy and has a passion for preserving his ways of hunting, and I respect that. But leave the moderators out of this. If we can't argue topics and show each other’s views and opinions then what’s the point of online forums. The catch is you can't take it personal. We all come from different walks of life, and were brought up hunting, fishing and enjoying this great countries backwoods in different ways. You may do something I necessarily don’t agree with but I’m not going to judge u over it. Just my two cents.
What he has is a passion for trying to force his ways on everybody else.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
I hope that's correct, I wasn't sure.

What got me to thinking was that a few Winters ago we went to a boat show where one of the booths was a guy with penned bucks, with some pretty dandy racks. For $20.00 you could get a pic standing in front of one of them.
One of the bucks had dropped an antler that morning, and there was a bloody stump were it had been.
They do bleed. That much I know. Lots of the antlers I find have blood on them.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never found one that fast that still had blood on it. I don't have much luck looking for 'em. Usually the ones I find I've already given up looking and step on, sit on, or trip on. But I will say they were all pretty nice ones.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
Now, those are some nice finds. What state do u live in?
Old 12-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thinking a little further about my question... The deer in the video was on the run before the antler dropped... So I'm still pondering this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.