Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed Antler Traps

Old 12-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

It does happen in several different ways! Generally they hit the two top strands when jumping the fence because they don't get high enough and the wires wrap around one or both hocks. I saw a nice mulie a year ago out in Wyoming and he had at least a 20' long strand of barbed wire with the end wrapped around his rack, neck and shoulder area. I'm guessing that the length that was still dangling out quite a ways behind him probably got caught on something after I saw him and he probably died a lousy death. I'm hoping that maybe the wire was rusted enough that maybe it broke off, but I doubt it. It was near the road I was on going through a big ranch and I couldn't find anyone to tell them they should go shoot him and I sure wasnt going to do it myself on private property. If it had been on public land, I'd have used my tag on him even though he wasn't a buck I would normally get excited about and shoot. I don't know if I can find the picture I took of him, but if I can I'll come back and put it on this post.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-29-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

http://racktrap.com/
Old 12-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Remnard
***I thought I'd seen everything, but that contraption takes the cake! Why not just go out and walk around some looking for them to get some exercize and scouting in? That sure looks like the lazy man's way of doing something and they want $300 for the thing!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***I thought I'd seen everything, but that contraption takes the cake! Why not just go out and walk around some looking for them to get some exercize and scouting in? That sure looks like the lazy man's way of doing something and they want $300 for the thing!
Yes it is crazy, but some of these high end ranches place a premium on Antlers. They are saleable, and make for good advertising for their ranches, hunting lodges etc. Think outside of the box fellas. Many larger hunting lodges privately owned want to see what is growing on their property. It's obviously not for the shmoe that is hunting public land.

It's kind of the same reason we drive F150's and others drive Ferraris. Because they can. Personally I have never built one, and certainly wouldn't buy one, but some don't have or make the time to walk the woods like we do looking for sheds. Remember to each his own.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Remnard
Yes it is crazy, but some of these high end ranches place a premium on Antlers. They are saleable, and make for good advertising for their ranches, hunting lodges etc. Think outside of the box fellas. Many larger hunting lodges privately owned want to see what is growing on their property. It's obviously not for the shmoe that is hunting public land.

It's kind of the same reason we drive F150's and others drive Ferraris. Because they can. Personally I have never built one, and certainly wouldn't buy one, but some don't have or make the time to walk the woods like we do looking for sheds. Remember to each his own.
***Whatever, but IMHO that's just another thing taking hunting down the wrong path!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some people might consider it the smart way rather that the lazy way.

Having an antler trap doesn't mean you can't still go look for antlers.

I think it would be fun to have a couple set up even though I like to walk and look and scout.

I think the scenario the guy is talking about makes perfect sense (only 20 acres)
Old 12-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

So what happens when a buck that is a month or more from shedding his rack sticks his head in there and gets caught?!!! Answer---Probably death!
Old 12-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what happens when a buck that is a month or more from shedding his rack sticks his head in there and gets caught?!!! Answer---Probably death!
People have been doing it for decades. It seems that claim should really need some sort of actual sample to back it up.

As I said earlier I would use bungee cords so basically no chance of that happening.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
People have been doing it for decades. It seems that claim should really need some sort of actual sample to back it up.

As I said earlier I would use bungee cords so basically no chance of that happening.
***Bungees are a lot different from that solid iron contraption in that link that's anchored to the tree that I'm talking about. If one animal gets caught and dies in one of those IMHO it's one too many!!! My claim needs no more backing up than one who says it wouldn't.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

***Bungees are a lot different from that solid iron contraption in that link that's anchored to the tree that I'm talking about. If one animal gets caught and dies in one of those IMHO it's one too many!!! My claim needs no more backing up than one who says it wouldn't.
1. You may want to look at that "contraption" again.

2. No if you want to stop something the onus is on you to make a case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.