Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed Antler Traps

Old 12-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by fastetti
No offense to anyone, but that rack trap looks like a horrible idea. I could easily see one of our mature bucks being not ready to shed and get an antler caught in there and either ripping the antler off and taking some of his skull plate with it or wind up dead in there. When the feeder is down to its last bit of corn a buck will twist and turn to get every last piece and thats when trouble starts, easily getting multiple tines stuck in the metal. If there was a heavy duty spring on the top of each piece of metal so they can pull our if they get really stuck then that would be a much better idea. We can't feed in Illinois so its illegal but I still wouldn't leave something like that out with a clean conscious.
***I hope our expert reads your post closely, as that's exactly what I've stated and he's all over my case!!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***I hope our expert reads your post closely, as that's exactly what I've stated and he's all over my case!!!!
Top, read my last post, and then look at the pic on the link with the kid standing next to the trap... The bottom pan is at about his knees, and the top is at his shoulders... About 30 inches?

I'm not seeing where a buck could be caught up in the racktrap.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

You do realize people can see thats not exactly what you said at all right?

but yes I did respond to him questioning whether he realizes how the trap is actually made just like I did you.

The question is will he respond with insults like you did?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
Top, read my last post, and then look at the pic on the link with the kid standing next to the trap... The bottom pan is at about his knees, and the top is at his shoulders... About 30 inches?

I'm not seeing where a buck could be caught up in the racktrap.

Lunkerdog---I don't think what you're saying would have anything to do with a buck not getting caught in it. However, I think I now see where fastetti , as well as several others of us, are mistaken about the contraption. In reading the two statements in the advertisement they talk about it's durability and being made of coated iron, etc. and then there is a quick statement about rubber cords in a sentence that appeared to mean that they are attached with the ratchet straps to hold the thing on the tree. It now appears that what they are saying is that the parts that look like iron that the deer sticks it's head through are rubber bungees like Rockport mentioned and that we didn't understand. That concept is pretty smart and not something that is solid that would do what several of us have said and why we had a problem with the gizmo. Therefore, I offer another apology as it does appear after further discussion that the design is pretty neat and would do the deer no harm if those pieces are rubber. Here again we have just had some miscommunication like happens many times on the internet when people can't actually talk things out around a campfire.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-30-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

So what happens when a buck that is a month or more from shedding his rack sticks his head in there and gets caught?!!! Answer---Probably death!
explain how a buck is going to get stuck to rubber bands???.....the buck wouldn't be touching anything that is metal......
Old 12-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
Okay, I've had a question nagging at me since I watched the video of that trap. I doubt anyone will be able to answer it, but who knows?

When that antler was pulled off that deer it took off in a big hurry.

So was the deer startled? Or if a rack is close to, but not quite ready to drop does it actually hurt the deer to pull it off prematurely? Kinda like accidentally tearing off a scab?
watch you tube videos of bucks losing their antlers naturally, they react the same exact way. I think it more or less surprises them.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
explain how a buck is going to get stuck to rubber bands???.....the buck wouldn't be touching anything that is metal......
***Please read my post made one minute before you made yours!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lunkerdog---I don't think what you're saying would have anything to do with a buck not getting caught in it. However, I think I now see where fastetti , as well as several others of us, are mistaken about the contraption. In reading the two statements in the advertisement they talk about it's durability and being made of coated iron, etc. and then there is a quick statement about rubber cords in a sentence that appeared to mean that they are attached with the ratchet straps to hold the thing on the tree. It now appears that what they are saying is that the parts that look like iron that the deer sticks it's head through are rubber bungees like Rockport mentioned and that we didn't understand. That concept is pretty smart and not something that is solid that would do what several of us have said and why we had a problem with the gizmo. Therefore, I offer another apology as it does appear after further discussion that the design is pretty neat and would do the deer no harm if those pieces are rubber. Here again we have just had some miscommunication like happens many times on the internet when people can't actually talk things out around a campfire.
Here is where the problem is and I swear my only intent is to make this a better place with more visitors.

I said to you a long time ago "You may want to look at that "contraption" again"

Instead of doing so you responded with insults.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

***Please read my post made one minute before you made yours!
Beat me to it!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I watched the video on the website and saw how the buck lost an antler. If that buck wasn't ready to shed and started he would have been flipped over possibly breaking a leg or worse. While his head may not get stuck for more than a second, there are other distinct possibilities. No matter the durability of the rubber, any buck that is started when its head is in there is going to be thrown off their feet.

The problem I see is the deer was able to fit his entire rack inside the cage of it. Now, if the openings were just wide enough to fit a deer's head in (Maybe 8") so that the deers antlers were knocked off trying to get the food rather than after fitting its antlers into the "cage" area then I think it would be better. If a deer's antlers are loose, then they will come off trying to eat and poking its head in, not by being stuck on something on the way out.

Just my opinion on this. I'm more of a walk and find them kind of guy. I find it much more fun that way. If they ever have a trap that is 100% safe (hopefully like I mentioned here) then I might give it a try. I just know I couldn't forgive myself if I have a 180" buck come it, somehow get his antlers in and then either get stuck getting out or fall over on his back and struggle and break a leg or neck getting out. I've seen die from some scenarios, I just wouldn't want one of those to be my fault.

Last edited by fastetti; 12-30-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.