Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

doe bleat in a can

Old 10-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: doe bleat in a can

I used it last year and worked better than I hoped for. I was having a slow day on stand and I noticed a deer slipping through the woods about 70 yards away. I noticed he was a buck even though he was a small one at that I thought I would have some fun but he was going past me then I flipped the can over and let the bleat out and he turned his head and came my way. I was able to get him to 15 yards but didn' t shoot do too being to small. But it did work great and I will always have one in my bag.

Brian
Old 10-01-2003, 08:48 PM

The Cans WORK! Or they don' t. But all the regulars in my shop use them. One killed a nice 8 point yesterday that clearly came to the call. (BTW I told him it was too early for the can) We have taken or called dozens of deer in the past few years with these.

Thru my grunt calls away and use the cans. Deer coming to the can are more carefree and not tense. Coming to a grunt, the bucks seemed to be on edge and had a tendency to find me. Cans are a Sat night dance call to the bucks.

I use small cans early and switch to larger later in the year. I have learned to get ready to shoot as soon as you call with these. Friend was caling from a tripod last year and bleated several times, looked around, and finally set the can on the tripod grating floor. That is when he saw the buck calmly staring up into the tripod at him. Even had a small buck sneak up behind me in TX and stick his head in the blind with me. Really wish the wife hadn' t been there to see me scream like a girl and try to get out of the other side of the blind.

Love' em or hate' em use what you have confidence in.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:25 PM

That reminds me of the spike I called in last year (in my previous post) with the can. I was on the ground and he snuck in behind me and I didn' t hear him until he was about 20 feet from me. It wasn' t a windy day, the leaves were on the ground and somehow he managed to sneak right up on me.