Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Leagality of Sidearm

Old 09-27-2003, 09:57 AM

Default Leagality of Sidearm

I hunt NY state - Private property. Thinking about purchasing a .380cal. to carry as a sidearm. My primary weapon, as always, is a Browning A-bolt 3006. Is it leagal to carry a sidearm of this caliber, or for curiosity, even something smaller? The reason I' m considetring, is in case I run into something other than a game animal, such as wild dogs, or coyotes. Can' t see myself pointing a rifle at point blank range in the event I have an encounter with something that compromises my health. Can' t seem to get a straight answer on this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-27-2003, 11:07 AM

Default RE: Leagality of Sidearm

I would contact your local game dept. with help on this question. All states are different in their laws. -- CDH
Old 09-27-2003, 04:04 PM
usa
Fork Horn

zeus, do you have a NYS concealed weapon permit? If not nothing would be legal for you, if so check with fish and game, I think that if you have a permit to carry and are not using it as your hunting weapon then it should be legal, I carry my .44 smith each year in NY, but that is a legal caliber and barrel length to hunt with. Just a thought, you may as well carry a bag of rocks rather than a .380, consider a .357 mag its powerful enough to make a difference in the field and you can plink with cheap .38' s same with a .44, handgun hunting is almost as much fun as bowhunting, good hunting
Old 09-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Zeus, heres a link to the NY fish and game regulations concerning the types of firearms you can use.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d.../legalimp.html

Old 09-28-2003, 07:56 AM

No, I don' t have a concealed weapons permit. It' s premise/target. I don' t necessarily have to conceal it; I could carry in a visible holster. That' s what the confusion is. It will be obvious to anyone, that I will be using a rifle to hunt. I think the real question is, can I only carry a " leagal hunting handgun" , while I' m out in the field actually hunting? Again, this is private property. As far as I know, there' s nothing illegal about me carrying a " visibly displayed" handgun on my property on any given day. It' s carrying it while hunting, that is the question. Not a big deal, no law enforcement would be coming onto this property, but just in case of anything, I' d rather be leagal. This question has been raised amongst friend before. Some say I can, while others say I can' t. Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:14 AM
Spike

As far as I know all centerfire calibers are legal for hunting deer in NY, so I don' t see why there would be a problem.

>>you can' t carry a handgun during the special archery seasons though, this may have been what confused your friends.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:46 PM

Hey Man;

Check the fine print on your license. As I understand it, and I may be wrong, so please do check, You have a permit to posess the firearm on your premises, and to transport to and use it at bonafide targe ranges. Hunting with it fits neither category. In order to carry ANY handgun (legal for hunting or not) you need to have a permit to carry a handgun, not just posess one. Oh, and concealed or not, makes no difference. Be very careful with this, because if you make a mistake and get caught you' ll most likely lose the limited license you have.

I know how assinine this sounds, but consider this. There has been discussion, if not prosecution, that having a premises permit, does NOT permit you to transport the firearm from the place where you purchased it to your permitted premises. Theoretically prosecution is " possible" . Figure that out.

Also, EVEN WITH A PERMIT, you cannot carry any firearm of any description, no matter who you are, if you are hunting with a bow during the archery only season.

Take care and good luck;