Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Well I guess I'm a corn hunter now >

Well I guess I'm a corn hunter now

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Well I guess I'm a corn hunter now

Old 04-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Spike

Thank you....now move on.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Spike

Thank you....now move on.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice everyone who replied with RELEVENT INFORMATION ABOUT THE TOPIC! I was really curious about the reactions of the deer in the area more than the hunting with bait exactly. I assumed that the deer would be much harder to hunt simply due to the fact that they will not have to work nearly as hard to find food. I know for a factthat allthe land around us has been poachin over corn for years now so IDK how my group actually putting out a few feeders will impact deer habits in the area.
ONe more question, Do deer in areas where bait is legal still use food plots as readily. Deer in our area have always used our plots exstensively once all the natural hard mast had run out later in the year. Im a little worried that now since there will always be food in the woods the plots will become less attractive.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Deepsouthdeerjunky
ONe more question, Do deer in areas where bait is legal still use food plots as readily. Deer in our area have always used our plots exstensively once all the natural hard mast had run out later in the year. Im a little worried that now since there will always be food in the woods the plots will become less attractive.
All the more reason to do food plots. My neighbors (with a lot more land and bait stations) bait like mad, but my food plots help even things up a bit. I think deer will almost prefer food plots for natural daytime movement since you are not constantly bringing your scent into the area to restock feeders. Also, in WI there is a 2 gal limit and baiting is restricted to the season only. So food plots give you that extra time before season to attract deer in and hopefully keep them when all the baiting starts.

For your feeders, keep the scent issue in mind. Place your feeders at a point where you can access and restock without bringing scent into your hunting area.

Last edited by MZS; 04-22-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:23 AM
Spike

Deepsouth,

First & foremost - I apologize for all the crap in the middle of your post - I aint never dealt with anybody chasing me all over the board or from one thread to another,

The deer will still hit the feeder and the food plot , depending on weather and conditions and where the feeder is located.Feeders are not a problem, those in states where they are not allowed - will always differ on the use of one..I would like to have a 1500 acre Cornfield and a large Pecan tree on the property I hunt..then I could just sit in the pecan tree and hammer everything walking out of the cornfield - but I dont have that option..

Regardless, your state making Fedeers legal is a fine example of your State Biologist finally realizing that a 1500 acre cornfield in Iowa is no different than a 55 gallon feeder putting out the same - CORN.

After 43 years of having used a feeder - I can tell you this - it wont change the food plot use - they will still use the food plot...what a feeder will do is - hold the Does, they will bed down in an area and stay in the general area - and hence , here comes the bucks during the rut..Does = Bucks as you well know...Secondly, The feeder has a use as a supplemental feeding source - ie - protien, etc etc...no different than a Hay Ring or feeder trough for Cows, salt licks , mineral blocks etc etc,, I had one fella on one of my websites that swore up and down that he would never use a feeder or "bait" deer...then he posted a picture and damned if there was not 2 mineral blocks laying in the picture of the Buck picture he posted - LOLL...but those were not attacting deer to his area he was hunting..I could go on and on , but I think you get the idea.

If you build the feeder yourself...here is another tip...Use "The Timer" on your lower unit..you wont be sorry and get a solar panel, forget dealing with the 6 volt or 12 volt batteries...you will get tired of that real quick.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:25 AM
Spike

MZS.....good point.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default corn feeder

Im not sure where all this info is coming from on the ineffectiveness of a feeder. Here in NC corn is allowed and I spread it liberally. It is a huge advantage on getting deer in the area and keeping them there. Spread it thin so they cant sit there and eat it by the mouthful. I hunt the usual travel corridors leading to the natural food plots and spread the corn on the edge of the plots. Good Luck
Old 04-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 700
You must have mis read what he asked...nobody threw a stone...read it again.
I don't think I misread anything. My remark was aimed at the one throwing rocks at you and those who use feeders.

Until last year I never hunted property that had a feeder on it and I would probably have looked down on those who did. Last year the only chance I had to hunt deer was on property where the owner has a feeder, so I swallowed my holier-than-thou attitude and hunted. In doing so I asked myself your question, "What's the difference between a seven second spin of corn and sitting on the edge of a two hundred acre cornfield?"
Old 04-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The difference is 200 acres. With that said, I tried the corn feeder hunt an it lasted about a total of one hunt for me. I was setting there waiting on a deer to show up an wondering what was at those locations that I could be hunting. So that was the end of that type of hunting for me. Too each his own.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Spike

I hear ya....it would drive me nuts trying to figure out what corner of the cornfield to sit on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.