Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Well I guess I'm a corn hunter now >

Well I guess I'm a corn hunter now

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Well I guess I'm a corn hunter now

Old 04-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Well I guess I'm a corn hunter now

As of this season alabama is now allowing hunters to have corn out during season. Of course we are not allowed to hunt over it. Must be in a feeder, 100 yards away, out of sight. I know other states do this too. What can I expect going into next season? How's the best way to use this new law to my advantage?
Old 04-21-2013, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Great Experiment

I call it that, as I'm not sure I ever want to become a bait hunter. Once you put out bait, is that the prime place to hunt deer? Does bait become more powerful in seeing some deer or the great trophy deer?
Filling a feeder takes time and money. If a hunter spends time with a feeder, does he commit the entire season to hunting near that feeder? Or at a couple of other feeders? And what happens if it's hours and hours of not seeing deer or not seeing a buck with the appropriate antlers? How much boredom will a hunter take in one main place?

The corn can lay in one place for 24/7, with the timely delivery of corn.
How long can the hunter lay in one place? And what becomes of hunting? That's what I wonder about?

But I'm old. I don't have to worry about twenty and thirty years down the road.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMHO putting out bait only makes it harder to hunt because the deer turn even more nocturnal than they normally are. They're lazy and know right where to go to get a free meal once they get up from their bed. You'll see a few does, fawns, and the smaller bucks, but usuaally nothing to get excited about. Hey, send a PM to 700, as he's the expert on feeders!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-21-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Spike

Deepsouth,

I will help you..First dont run out and buy a feeder - make it yourself..just buy a 55 gallon barrel , buy the lower unit,Solar panel..order the leg ext's and then go to Lowes and get the legs,make them yourself out of fence pipe.

Put your timer on for 7 seconds - morning and then evening...feed year round....

The biggest mistake - "the weekend warriors" - make is : They think the feeder is used to "kill" stuff with , thats not the purpose of the feeder- we have used one for 46 out of my 53 years on earth,I aint never killed anyhting under a feeder...Trolls like to get their " attention" by trying to stir the pot over a issue they have no knowledge about...its comical and they stick out like a sore thumb,

Feeders are a management tool - plain and simple..feed year round ,add protien to the corn mix , whatever you want to do..its your choice.

Those " against " feeders mainly express that attitude due to the fact that the state they live in do not allow them.

Just a little common sense will go a long way - Whats the difference in a guy sitting next to a 1500 acres cornfield and killing a buck as he walks out or a feeder with CORN in it..your state had obviously figured out through wildlife biologist - theres no difference - good for your state,and good luck.

ps..if you build one and put one out - make sure to aim your solar panel towards the rising - setting sun.

Topgun....You chased me all over the - El Cazador post trying to get some attention..now your throwing my username around the board...Im impressed.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just telling the guy like you mentioned on the other thread more than once, although anybody that states that corn feeders are put out "just to provide nutrition" and then hunts on the property is the one that sticks out like a sore thumb! The majority of people put them out to draw deer in for an easier hunting opportunity and not so much for supplemental feeding.

Also, if you look up the nutritional value of corn that's generally the main item used in those feeders you'll find out, that although the deer eat it like candy, it isn't an overall good supplement. If they're to be used "just for nutrition" they should include a good percentage of a true supplement that's of value to them, as was mentioned. It appears to be a little contradictory though when someone says that and then turns right around and says they're used to draw deer to shoot just like using a cornfield, but they never shoot a deer "under" one. If you use feeders, you're pulling animals out of their usual pattern and there are no ifs, ands, or buts about that! That is the biggest thing that people fight over where theye're allowed because most feel they have to use them because their neighbor is pulling all "their" deer from them. It really becomes a vicious circle and has led to actual fights over whether they should be allowed or not in some states.

I had a 50 gallon drum with a spin feeder up here in MI a long time ago. It lasted a short time after I brought it up from Texas just to watch deer out the cabin windows because the bears kept chasing them away and doing damage, so I shut it down. One night a big sow with triplet year old cubs came in and was able to reach up high enough to push the spinner aside, which resulted in close to 250# pounds of corn spilling out on the ground. It was all gone by the next morning and I'd bet they all had some serious stomach aches after that big meal. The law up here limits bait to no more than 2 gallons a day and it must be spread out, which makes a spin feeder great. However, the last ten years or so our hunting has really improved when the neighbors in our area all quit feeding. It didn't take long to see more deer moving during daylight hours since they had to actually search for their feed.

Finally, someone sure appears to be touchy about members posting their ideas that may be different or contradictory to their thoughts! That's what's good about forums to get all kinds of ideas and concepts that one can read and then use or not use at their discretion.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-21-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Spike

Well ....if nothing else your persistent...but that ain't saying much.loll....go find yourself another tree to climb...the bark on this one is old and hard....your wasting your time..
deepsouth...sorry he has hijacked your post..this clown has been chasing me all over the board.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope ... you are not a "corn hunter" unless you decide to violate the "15% protein" section of the regulation ! Hmmmm ... reckon folks like Moultrie and Purina had any enflunece on the legislation !?! I have had no luck locating the final version and vote on Ala. HB 322, which if passed as written creates this joke of a "hunting" regulation.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

700---Judas Jenny! I just put up a few simple thoughts as to what he might come up against just like he asked. Then you come on with a nice little rant aimed at me with a little "how to make a feeder" thrown in there. YOU are the one that needs to take a hike! That is more than a laughable comment about me chasing you all over the Board when we were on one single thread and now YOU have come on this thread AFTER I made a post earlier this morning. Read your posts brother, as they are so contradictory that I don't think you know what you're saying from one paragraph to the next. Finally, don't send me another bodily threatening PM unless you feel like getting involved in a court case! Threats in black and white like that, which have now been saved, are pretty dam stupid!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-21-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Now kids, let"s not get our shorts in a knot.
From my experience (age 14 to 66)
I have hunted over dang near everything including corn. You can put your corn out wherever you want but where I hunt now it is almost a guarantee that you will not shoot anything of worth from the stand.
Maybe a doe or small buck and you will find your deer , in the hard hunted areas I hunt, will go nocturnal. Oh occasionally one or two will inadvertantly wonder by but it is more good luck than good management.
Just MHO
daddus
Old 04-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Spike

When I said don't pm me anymore... I mean just that..end of story.go find someone else to go harass ....I wont say it again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.