Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Lok

Old 03-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nodog
Really, lot of people used to starve.
We call them vegetarians.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey pal.

ASk a trapper if scent control is an issue.
Never said it's not an issue. Just use something that actually does what it's advertised to do. Carbon will not reactivate in your dryer unless it reaches 1475 degrees Farenheit.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Spike

My dad always said deer have something humans can not compete with "there nose" you will never beat it no matter what you do so dont try. CROCK
Old 03-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nodog
Hey pal.

ASk a trapper if scent control is an issue.
IM A TRAPPER... Scent control won't help you in any way when hunting deer.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bukmastr
sweet
Old 03-16-2013, 05:42 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bukmastr
Could you elaborate on this? You mean that all you can do is hunt the wind? What about elevated stands?
Never mind, I found your post (pasted below). Hunt the wind is what I read.

I agree that less scent is better... But not much better.
Deer have 297 million olfactory receptors in the nose, plus a vomeronasal organ... YOU have 5 million olfactory receptors in the nose, and no vomeronasal organ...
I believe they can process the scent age by breakdown and know about how fresh it is.
Saying less scent will spook less seems like a false statement to me...
Wearing rubber boots and spraying your self with scent remover may reduce your scent to you... But to a deer that smells 100 million times better than you with a vomeronasal organ to break it down the minimized scent is still incredibly strong and reveals you were there...
Its equivalent to getting all out sprayed by a skunk at point blank range and then taking a wet rag and trying to wash the scent off you... When you get home, your wife is still going to smell it.
We are not talking about an animal that can smell "a little" better than us... We are talking about an animal that smells millions of times better.
You could take away a deers sight and hearing and it would survive. Take away his nose and he would perish. They rely on there nose more than there eyes, and ears combined.

The big point you should get out of this is that it won't hurt you to be clean. But don't limit your hunting because of time restraints or anal rituals that will keep you from hunting when time is limited.
If you hunted the extra 45 minutes you spend doing rituals, your success from getting 45 more minutes per hunt would far exceed the "help" scent control rituals do...
The scent that spooks the deer is the human scent created as the body sheds dead skin cells. Washing don't remove that... Scent spray does not stop you from creating and shedding more cells. Carbon activated suits don't remove it enough to be effective... Foreign odors could work to catch a deers attention and his focus could make him notice your scent. But I believe if they smell the foreign odor, they are down wind and smell your human scent too.... Our human scent to a deer is likely stronger than that of a skunk spray to us. They smell millions of times better than you or I.

COYOTES AND FOXES ARE AMONG THE BEST PREDATORS. THEY ALSO STINK SOMETHING TERRIBLE. THEY KILL BY COMING IN FROM DOWN WIND.

My personal feeling is that they don't fear gasoline, perfume, etc.. Unless they have learned to associate it with humans. I do believe they instinctively fear human scent and can tell the smell of a predator.

Research shows that deer have up to 297 million olfactory receptors in the nose, plus a vomeronasal organ (that detects scents/odors) in the roof of their mouth. Dogs have up to 220 million olfactory receptors in the nose, plus a vomeronasal organ. Humans have up to 5 million olfactory receptors in the nose, but no vomeronasal organ.
According to my math a deer can smell 27% better than a dog...

Every single "independant" blood hound test I have ever seen the dog found the human scent just as easy with or without the scent products... Myth busters did a great show on it proving once and for all, the crap don't work.

Scent control means watching that deer don't get down wind or cross your entry path... If you need scent control to kill big bucks how did I arrow all the bucks I have gotten over the years without it?

Last edited by MZS; 03-16-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, talk about a lot of traffic! I read almost all of the posts in the last 9pgs, and I'm very glad to see so many guys with common sense in their heads.

Play the wind. End of story.

I grew up calling coyotes, and without a doubt, there is no way to disguise or hide your scent from a canine nose, so I learned to never worry about scent cover for coyotes. Then when I started deer hunting as a teenager, I admit I thought at that time I needed all the clothes and chemicals I could get. But eventually it hit me, coyotes sense of smell is drastically more adept than that of deer, and I had been killing coyotes for many years without using any cover except that which God provided (the wayward winds) so wtf was I using the scent cover on deer for?

99% of experienced coyote hunters will tell you that scent cover is a waste of time and money, the wind is free. It's only deer hunters that seem to think they need all of this hyped up junk.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ah, I forgot.

Also as a trapper, I agree, scent control on your trap sets is a different thing than hunting situations. I check my traps every day, and I need an animal to step in the exact spots where I walked yesterday, and the exact spots i caught something yesterday or the day before. the level of contact is much higher, and the frequency demand is higher. I honestly don't do much for scent control around my traps, except wear seasoned clothes and rubber boots, maybe use some attractant/confidence scents from time to time. All I really do is limit my time there. For hunting, you ideally will not cross paths with your target animal, so the demand is different. When I'm hunting, I only need them to come within 50yrds of my location with a bow or revolver, or within hundreds of yards with a rifle. And it only has to happen a few times a season.

Like I said, I don't really go through much trouble for scent control while trapping, nothing what like some of these guys are describing as their per-hunting ritual, and again, trapping and hunting are very different games.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Spike

Charlie P -There's a whole lot of "dont worry about scent control, just hunt the wind" talk here.

Fellas, if you dont want to worry about not stinking in the woods, thats fine; but I'm gonna hunt the wind AND do what I can to cut down on the odor I give off. Not foolish enough to think I can eliminate all scent, but I will do everything reasonable I can to keep my scent down... Bottom line - if others want to go into their stands reeking to high hell that's their prerogative. I prefer to be as scent free as possible.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 03-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Spike

Scent free stuff is a waste of money hunt the wind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.