Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Lok

Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bukmaster, Very impressive wall, btw.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Psylocide
I would guess that anything a hunter could do to mask his external scent could be outdone by a simple fart or the odor of his breath, perspiration, etc.

Yep it can, I use Hawgs vanishing hunter as a mouth wash as well. Don't know what's in it, it works. A simple fart comes out of everything so it isn't a threat, what's not found in the woods is. Dead vegetation and dead animals make a good cover scent. Bales of straw have been used by hunters since there have been bales of straw. Native Americans used to do 2 things to get rid of and cover their scent. One was to stand in the smoke of sweet burning grass, the other was to bath in streams of the area's they hunted in. If anyone has ever folllowed the instructions of SL they no doubt smelled the product coming out of the dryer, it smells like sweet burning grass. I've always put mine in on it's hottest setting, cooked it for about 40 minutes and removed it while still running, hot and put it right into it's own sealed bag (washed and sprayed hands of course).

Smoke is a powerful thing and anyone that's ever tried to restore something damaged by smoke from a fire will tell you, it takes some powerful stuff to over come it's smell. SL come's out of the dryer smelling like it's been in smoke and yes, dryers do catch things on fire, just requires a product with a low flash point. SL also warns the product can only be washed x number of times before it starts to lose it's effectiveness (what burns is washed out). This and more is what SL has hit on and all of it can be done by the hunter without buying the clothes except, the clothes are high quality and mine are very quiet.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nodog
Yep it can, I use Hawgs vanishing hunter as a mouth wash as well. Don't know what's in it, it works. A simple fart comes out of everything so it isn't a threat, what's not found in the woods is. Dead vegetation and dead animals make a good cover scent. Bales of straw have been used by hunters since there have been bales of straw. Native Americans used to do 2 things to get rid of and cover their scent. One was to stand in the smoke of sweet burning grass, the other was to bath in streams of the area's they hunted in. If anyone has ever folllowed the instructions of SL they no doubt smelled the product coming out of the dryer, it smells like sweet burning grass. I've always put mine in on it's hottest setting, cooked it for about 40 minutes and removed it while still running, hot and put it right into it's own sealed bag (washed and sprayed hands of course).

Smoke is a powerful thing and anyone that's ever tried to restore something damaged by smoke from a fire will tell you, it takes some powerful stuff to over come it's smell. SL come's out of the dryer smelling like it's been in smoke and yes, dryers do catch things on fire, just requires a product with a low flash point. SL also warns the product can only be washed x number of times before it starts to lose it's effectiveness (what burns is washed out). This and more is what SL has hit on and all of it can be done by the hunter without buying the clothes except, the clothes are high quality and mine are very quiet.
I put my BDUs out in the yard for a few nights, maybe rub pine needles on them a bit. I always smell like sweet burning grass, so I've got a head start there.

My only issue with SL is that you cannot completely remove human smell no matter what you're using... just can't fool a deer's nose as much as you could a dog's (as it's been said here before).

If you're going for a smoke smell, start a campfire in the yard and hang your clothes over it. It's a lot cheaper.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:50 AM
Typical Buck

I don't need to know you to know if it wasn't for opportuity you wouldn't have shot any deer.

9 differnt states and it wasn't due to opportunity? I don't think you know what the word means. You clearly have had many opportunities.
Your contridicting yourself.
The difference in scent control being important and it being not so important is when hunting an area the hunter doesn't know how to hunt yet, then it is very important. 4 years to learn a property is what I've always set as a time table to taking quality deer,
Like I said, I rarely hunt the same spot twice and am hunting pounded public where success on "any" deer is well below 5%
No 4 year program to figure the deer out... No getting to know what I can get away with...
My success comes from understanding a deers nose, not falling on "magic" products like a crutch, and never letting them get down wind.
If scent products have helped you so much you must have walls full of monster bucks taken solely because of your scent control regeim. Lets see some of them?
Old 03-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

Yep it can, I use Hawgs vanishing hunter as a mouth wash as well. Don't know what's in it, it works. A simple fart comes out of everything so it isn't a threat, what's not found in the woods is.
What?? Animals don't breath? Why is it ok if an animal smells something that comes out of your hind end, but not your mouth?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Murdy
What?? Animals don't breath? Why is it ok if an animal smells something that comes out of your hind end, but not your mouth?
Because there isn't a magical product out yet for hunter to buy to cover up their farts.

I see a business opportunity here. I'd call it:

LEAVE NO SCENT "BEHIND" - capsules for hunters full of hot air.

Now in deer-fart scent.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

I also hope that everyone in this debate is a ow hunter, because I usually clean my rifles, and I know the cleaners and oils have a smell to them. I don't believe scent lok has put out a magic gun sock yet so it wold be pointless to be wearing your $300 scent lok suit wile carrying an oily stinky rifle.....
Old 03-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Spike

I get upset everytime I see this debate unfold. Many Hunters seem to miss the point of the "scent free" clothing lines all together. If you think that anything can eliminate 100% of your scent you are seriously mislead. I wear a scent lok warm season suit and a scent blocker cold season jacket and pants. This is all PART of a scent reduction system - along with scent free shower, spraying down, scent free laundrying, rubber boots, AND most importantly, hunting the wind. Too many people oversimplify this debate. If you believe that these products do not eliminate all scent, YOU ARE RIGHT. BUT, you are also missing the point. I wonder if those that say the stuff is crap and they "only hunt the wind" would spray their boots in ga
soline and then go out. Im assuming the answer is "no". But their argument continues to be that wind is ALL that matters. Successful hunting is complex and there is no one miracle product or tactic.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 03-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by North22
I get upset everytime I see this debate unfold. Many Hunters seem to miss the point of the "scent free" clothing lines all together. If you think that anything can eliminate 100% of your scent you are seriously mislead. I wear a scent lok warm season suit and a scent blocker cold season jacket and pants. This is all PART of a scent reduction system - along with scent free shower, spraying down, scent free laundrying, rubber boots, AND most importantly, hunting the wind. Too many people oversimplify this debate. If you believe that these products do not eliminate all scent, YOU ARE RIGHT. BUT, you are also missing the point. I wonder if those that say the stuff is crap and they "only hunt the wind" would spray their boots in ga
soline and then go out. Im assuming the answer is "no". But their argument continues to be that wind is ALL that matters. Successful hunting is complex and there is no one miracle product or tactic.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android

First post is to come and defend a "scent reduction system". Sounds like a person with vested interest.

None the less,...welcome to the forum.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:08 AM
Fork Horn

North 22 you've got it right, wind is always important
but it never hurts do do what you can to reduce
the scent or cover it as much as possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.