Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Lok

Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Spike

Default Scent Lok

For those of you that have scent lok, I plan on hunting lightweight this year and I don't want to carry a big backpack to my hunts but this small light hunting fanny pack. My question is that it isn't scent lok. will it affect my scent lok suit to wear this? Should I spray it with scent eliminators are was it. Advice would be awesome, thanks.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

You will have to sides on this. People who swear by scent proofing, other who think its a crock and just do there best to minimize their scent and rely on wind....

Treat your pack just like any other non scent lok piece of equipment you use. (Bow,rifle, etc)
Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm from the crock crowd.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

I would put all the scent lok clothing in the fanny pack and leave it at home.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Tundra10
Same here.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

you want to be just like the environment your in or nothing at all, figure that out. My packs are either outside hanging under cover all year or in a sealed closet in a room that holds the wood heater. Touched only by at least sprayed hands, never set down on anything human scented including my truck. I have large zip bags they go in for transporting, boots to.

Just give it some thought and you'll figure it out. I always carry an old wool coat in my pack for when I can't stand the cold anymore, never a scent issue. All my scentlok clothes stay stored till just before entering the woods and are always worn over layers a scent killing, moisture wicking layers after I'm totally cleaned and sprayed down with Hawgs Vanishing Hunter. All my scentlok clothes come off after a kill and stored in my pack till I can store them back into their separate zip bags at the truck. They only ever see the woods unless being reactivated and never for anything but taking game, not removing game. I haven't been scented by anything for close to 10 years now.

Leave your new pack out in the weather some were for a few months inside out, let bugs nest in it, wash it down after with some scent killer and store as close to the woods as you can or in a stored air tight bag, never touch it with contaminated hands and leave it in the bag till you leave your vehicle. Game will never think it's anything but what's supposed to be there. Anything in it will stay the same, my wool coat either smells like the woods or wood smoke, either is as close to perfect as it gets. I wash it maybe once a season,

I live in a woods so it's easy for me to leave stuff out. Be hard living in town, but not impossible. Build an enclosure out of some old barn wood, keep some straw in it and leave your gear there. I hunted a place once I thought was ruined till I saw how it played out. Farmer had left several bales of rolled straw right by my stand. That aging straw put off a stink that covered anything there. Native Americans used to stand in the smoke of sweet burning grass as a cover, same thing.

If your pack is like the woods I don't see any problems. If you've stunk it up with everything from home it won't work.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
Same here!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fritz1
Same here!
Me, the chemistry of carbon alone makes it silly. The carbon will have absorbed much of it capacity just through manufacturing, shipping, and sitting in the retail stores. Also, the heat required to release the particles from the carbon would destroy the clothes and is not possible with a standard clothes dryer.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

Crock! put your money to good use on needed equipment!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fuhgeddaboudit

<<<Crock Crowd.

Hunt the wind, nevermind odor. If that scentlock works and your fanny pack emits zero odor, YOU are still emitting SOME odor regardless of what you are or are not wearing.

Creases, hemlines, openings, buttonholes, zipper lines all will emit odor.

At that point all of your investment will have netted you nothing cause you will have been BLOWN.

Keep the wind on your nose.

My $.02

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.