Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ever hate yourself after killing a deer? >

Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?

Old 12-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

A 12" rise at 100 after zero at 25 yds is a ballistic impossibility with anything that resembles a normal gun /scope installation. A 30 caliber bullet zeroed at 25 will be climbing at 50 and then drop back to zero at 100 or close to it. I can't see how a scope mounted high could give a 12" rise. One thing I would check is the scope mounted parallel with the barrel. Different sized mounts from front to back resulting in a low front objective might give a weird bullet path...just thinking out loud.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-08-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

"With a 50mm scope, on very high mounts, draw a pencil line, and tell me where it will be at 100 yards, if sighted in at 25 yards."

I've got a 50mm objective lens on a 3x9 power scope and it's also mounted with high mounts on a sporterized 30-06 03A3 and it damn sure didn't shoot 12" high at 100 yards when it was first sighted in with a zero at 25 yards! It was more like the previous posts stated the trajectory would be. There is also quite a bit of room between the barrel and lens on mine like you stated is on yours! If yours is shooting 12" high at 100, it's just as the previous post stated and there is something wrong with the setup!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-08-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Well, it happened, so thing must be wrong with my setup. Have a good night.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know if that was just a sarcastic comeback or whether you're now admitting that just maybe we are correct! When you rezeroed the gun at the 100 yard range did you then go in closer and shoot to see where the gun is shooting at 25 yards? If you didn't, I would suggest you do so and I think you're going to have a big surprise. You really do need to start over and find out what is going on because you really stand to miss, or even worse, to wound an animal at certain distances if that setup is as screwed up as it sounds!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

The 25 yds initial sight in is a way to save ammo especially when a new scope has been installed without being properly bore sighted. If you start out at 100 yds the impact is often off the paper resulting in confusion and wasted ammo. At 25 yds it will almost always be on the paper and is easier to get it in the ball park via adjustments then drop back to 100 yds for fine tuning. Another problem that might be happening is the bullets tumbling resulting in erratic flights. If your set up has been checked and you are still having some problems check out the holes and make sure they aren't torn showing a bullet that isn't spinning along its axis. I have certain ML loads that can’t take 3 pellets of powder. They fly all over the target and are dead on with 2 pellets. Last thing I would also check is that the scope, rings and mount are all tight. My hunting partner uncharacteristically missed a bull elk this year on an easy shot. Usually he is a better shot than I am but in this instance it was a clean miss. He later redeemed himself by bagging his bull but when he finally got home he found the mounts were loose. Good luck with the problem.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-09-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most times while dragging deer I curse myself for not shooting a smaller one.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Spike

Screw it! Move on and enjoy being able to hunt....
Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Hey look everyone. There's a dead horse. Lets all kick the **** out of it!!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Spike

Furgitter i said the same thing when i was draggin a buck out of the bottoms this year lol

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 12-11-2012, 03:02 AM
Fork Horn

My thoughts are this:

1) Missing 8 deer? That's disturbing in itself. Are you taking running or Hail Mary shots? Shots beyond your skill? That is a lot of missed deer.

2) Killing a 3 pointed vs. a doe? Was your gun scoped? I can't help but wonder (and I could be wrong - I admit it) - are you shooting at deer that you can't positively identify?

3) Kicking the ATV? That's a bit of poor sportsmanship there - don't you think? How old are you? 12?

4) Why lie to the butcher about who took the deer? Be honest and own-up to the truth and take responsibility for your actions. You shot it - take responsibility for it.

5) Using your dad's tag for it? Pretty dishonest I think. Too many guys seem to be doing that kinda thing and it's hurting the image of hunters. You shot it - use your own tag to tag it. Again - take responsibility for your actions.

6) The other poster is right - too many guys focus on the kill vs. enjoying the great outdoors and God's Creations. Yeah we all like to be successful and have meat in the freezer for the winter + - but ****e happens. Accept that you can't harvest a deer EVERY TIME!

Sorry to be so hard on you but it seems there is a lot amiss with your sportsmanship, attitude and ethics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.