Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ever hate yourself after killing a deer? >

Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?

Old 12-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Topgun 3006,

Check those charts with a balistic calculator a couple of different ways:

1) 30-06 with 150 Sierra Pro Hunter, scope 1.5" above line of sight and zeroed at 25 yards = 3" high at 100 yards.

2) 30-06 with 150 Sierra Pro Hunter, scope 1.5" above line of sight and zeroed at 100 yards = 3/4" low at 25 yards.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

untill you actualy shoot the gun at both distances your guessing, those charts have been wrong for me, 25 yds has always been damn near the scope height low even though the calculator tells me different, 18 yds and its exactly the scope height low
Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RaySendero
Topgun 3006,

Check those charts with a balistic calculator a couple of different ways:

1) 30-06 with 150 Sierra Pro Hunter, scope 1.5" above line of sight and zeroed at 25 yards = 3" high at 100 yards.

2) 30-06 with 150 Sierra Pro Hunter, scope 1.5" above line of sight and zeroed at 100 yards = 3/4" low at 25 yards.
I wouldn't argue with those figures and that sure isn't the 12" difference between 25 and 100 yards like one poster has stated!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Just thinking out loud. I wonder what the difference between 25 and 100 would be if the rifle was sighted in to zero at 350 yds?
Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Nope, he MISSED 8 deer in a row and now the guy on Meds in SC says he missed 10 because he can't control himself when he has a gun in his hands. I hope they both stay the hell where they are and don't do any outstate hunts where there might be a chance of running into either one of them, LOL! Wouldn't you think that after missing a few deer that you would check your equipment out thoroughly, rather than wait until the count got to ten for God's sake!!! These kind of people are what gives hunters and hunting a bad name.
Way beyond "bad". So far beyond bad I don't believe the story. Grammar and spelling are too good for a box of rocks.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
and this is safe? don't wanna be around this if loaded weapons are involved
RR
I'm with Ridge Runner esp being a RN. I highly suggest for your safety and everyone else's that you seriously consider taking up golf instead. Really. I wouldn't never advocate that anyone go hunting while feeling 'doped up' on Xanax and such an extreme anxiety issue. While Xanax is only for anxiety - if someone's dosage is THAT high - I would not mix that with guns or shooting. You not only could get so anxious or nervous that someone gets shot by accident but you could drop the gun and have it go off on yourself, fall out of a treestand, etc.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

when I took up hunting they didn't tell me there would be math involved.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Spike

[quote=Cypress32;4011413]
Took it over to the processing plant and said my dad shot it cause I wasnt about to claim him. quote]

Never hated myself for shooting a deer, but I'd certainly hate myself for throwing someone else under the bus. Your own father? Man are you a piece of work...

Dang it. I took the bait too. Good fishing, by the way.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Charlie P
when I took up hunting they didn't tell me there would be math involved.
That is funny as he** and I don't care who you are, LOL!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a pretty good short read on bullet trajectory, especially the last one on drop, that may be of help to some regarding this thread:

To understand what happens from muzzle to target and why–or at least to the extent we hunters need to know–here are some definitions and fundamental concepts one must be familiar with before all the pieces can fall into place.
DEFINITIONS
Line of Sight (LOS): A straight line out to infinity as represented by the scope’s reticle, or the sighting plane formed when the front and rear sights are aligned.

Line of Departure (LOD): Another perfectly straight line, this one running down the center of the bore to infinity.

Bullet Path: The arc or trajectory of the bullet relative to LOS.

Drop: The actual drop of the bullet relative to LOD. I’m sure we’ve all heard someone describe a rifle as being so flat-shooting “the bullet doesn’t even drop for the first 100 yards!” Nonsense. Even with the flattest-shooting super magnum, the bullet starts dropping away from the LOD the moment it leaves the muzzle. A popular misconception is one that results from the use of the word “rises” in various ballistics charts. A bullet is always dropping, but it does indeed “rise” relative to the LOS. This seeming anomaly exists because with the scope being positioned above the bore, the only way the LOS could converge with the bullet path is to angle the sights downward. In other words, if the LOD and LOS were parallel, the bullet would exit the muzzle 11⁄2 inches low and start falling farther away from there.

Adding to the confusion is the fact that, once those sights are angled downward to converge with the bullet path at some practical distance downrange–whether it be 100, 200 or 300 yards–the bullet and LOS will have already converged once before. Whether we’re shooting a .45-70 that we want zeroed at 100 yards or a 7mm Ultra Mag at 300, this first convergence of LOS and bullet path occurs between 20 to 40 yards from the muzzle.

Read more in this link if you like and look at the graph at the top showing the terms and how they relate in the description: http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2010/...#ixzz2EwxDYFkS

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-13-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.