HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

The 25 yds initial sight in is a way to save ammo especially when a new scope has been installed without being properly bore sighted. If you start out at 100 yds the impact is often off the paper resulting in confusion and wasted ammo. At 25 yds it will almost always be on the paper and is easier to get it in the ball park via adjustments then drop back to 100 yds for fine tuning. Another problem that might be happening is the bullets tumbling resulting in erratic flights. If your set up has been checked and you are still having some problems check out the holes and make sure they aren't torn showing a bullet that isn't spinning along its axis. I have certain ML loads that can’t take 3 pellets of powder. They fly all over the target and are dead on with 2 pellets. Last thing I would also check is that the scope, rings and mount are all tight. My hunting partner uncharacteristically missed a bull elk this year on an easy shot. Usually he is a better shot than I am but in this instance it was a clean miss. He later redeemed himself by bagging his bull but when he finally got home he found the mounts were loose. Good luck with the problem.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-09-2012 at 07:35 AM.