Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ever hate yourself after killing a deer? >

Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?

Old 12-04-2012, 05:25 AM
Spike

On another note, your 8 misses, were they with the gun or bow? Bow, is a little more understadable than a gun. Nerves or a poorly sited weapon? Check the gun or you might find yourself in a worse scenerio and shoot a deer, find blood, but never find the deer. That's worse than shooting the little guy!!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

I missed a nice doe last year. 100 yard shot. right over her back.
why, because I sighted in at the 25 yard range.

This year, I took a 2 hour drive to the 100 yard range, and I was about 12" too high !!! So I re-sighted for 100 yards.

and this year. there are no deer in the woods..................
Old 12-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sighting in at 25 yards is not going to make you 12" high at 100 yards---try another excuse, LOL!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Sighting in at 25 yards is not going to make you 12" high at 100 yards---try another excuse, LOL!!!
Your wrong. DEAD wrong. you have no idea of my rifle setup, or the size scope I have, or how high the mounting is on the scope.

Last edited by the blur; 12-04-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Spike

I shot a doe once with a 20 gauge. It donkey kicked and ran off with the group. There was alot of blood. My dad tracked it and we caught up to the group and i shot at it again. still no no dead deer. My dad tracked it and caught up to it again.(I was impressed by his skill) It crossed the river and disappeared. We covered alot of ground. it reminded me of a time I found a deer skeleton under a bush along side a creek with an arrow in it. There is a point were knowledge becomes wisdom......
Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Spike

I still have the fork antlers from the skeleton. it was a poorly placed shot because I was inexperienced hunter and learned alot from that hunt. I was not prepared to swim with snow on the ground to track it a third time... lol
Old 12-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Only once so far. I won't go into detail, why give the anti's more fuel?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wana shwoot a bunny wabbit, but i miss 8 twimes
Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

blur
Fork Horn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Your wrong. DEAD wrong. you have no idea of my rifle setup, or the size scope I have, or how high the mounting is on the scope.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by the blur; Today at 05:38 PM.

You obviously didn't know your own setup to screw up like that and are telling me I don;'t know what I'm talking about, LOL! It must be a really weird one at that if it caused you to miss 12" high at 100 with a zero at 25. If that's really the case, you should have know it and done followup practice so as not to take a chance on a miss, or even worse, wounding an animal at normal hunting distances. With a normal setup on most centerfire rifles a 25 yard zero shouldn't result in more than a 3 or 4 inch difference at 100 yards. You must have a really odd setup if what you say is true, so why don't you tell us what it is and maybe even show a picture or two of it instead of telling me I'm dead wrong.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-04-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

blur
Fork Horn

Quote:

Last edited by the blur; Today at 05:38 PM.

You have to have a really weird setup if it caused you to miss 12" high at 100 with a zero at 25 and that's all there is to it. With a normal setup on most centerfire rifles a 25 yard zero shouldn't result in more than a 3 or 4 inch difference at 100 yards. You must have a really odd setup if what you say is true, so why don't you tell us what it is and maybe even show a picture or two of it instead of telling me I'm dead wrong.
I agree Topgun, I always zero my gun at 25 yards then step back to 100 yards when it is dead on at 25. I then fine tune the adjustment from there, which is never much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.