Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever been told no?

Old 11-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Spike

Default Ever been told no?

So, I shot a decent 6 point today with my .44 mag revolver. My first handgun deer. It was a 45 yard shot and I hit him pretty decent. I followed his blood trail for 60 or so yards. There were some pieces of lung along the way. He was definitely mortally hit.

The trail led onto some neighboring property, so I quit following it, and walked all the way back to the truck. I drove to the landowners house, and asked permission to pursue my wounded deer onto his property.

I was given a flat out "NO". He told me he hates deer, and it'll be just fine with him if it rots. He really got my blood boiling! Now, keep in mind, this guy is a hunter himself, who I know wanders onto the land I have permission to hunt. He does not.

It makes me sick to know that deer is going to waste.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else here?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by emoffit
So, I shot a decent 6 point today with my .44 mag revolver. My first handgun deer. It was a 45 yard shot and I hit him pretty decent. I followed his blood trail for 60 or so yards. There were some pieces of lung along the way. He was definitely mortally hit.

The trail led onto some neighboring property, so I quit following it, and walked all the way back to the truck. I drove to the landowners house, and asked permission to pursue my wounded deer onto his property.

I was given a flat out "NO". He told me he hates deer, and it'll be just fine with him if it rots. He really got my blood boiling! Now, keep in mind, this guy is a hunter himself, who I know wanders onto the land I have permission to hunt. He does not.

It makes me sick to know that deer is going to waste.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else here?
Call DNR and ask them about it
Old 11-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Spike

I already tried. They told me what I already knew. He's completely within his rights to tell me no.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depending on how far onto that neighbors land that deer went, I would have just gone and gotten him! "Don't ask, don't tell". That beats loosing/wasting a deer any day.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Spike

Considered that too. Problem is, even though I was at least 1 1/4 miles from his house, wearing orange in knee high grass he'd have seen me anyways.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

man that sucks..thats the one law that never made sense to me here in ohio
Old 11-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

yeah screw that. I'd go get him.
Not sure where you are from but where I hunt in NY we look for it no matter where. The laws range from state to state, but jeeeez. If his property is not posted EXACTLY TO SPEC....you have the right to keep looking. NOw that he told you no.......stake out his house and go get him when he leaves. Some rules are made to be broke.

ah.pisses you off. probably not worth it . But read up on the law in your state. Half these cowboy DEC guys don't know what they are talking about.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

you shot a dear 60 yds from a border you dont have access to.
and your blaming the land owner for wasting the deer?
You shot the deer, you wasted the deer, no one to blame but yourself,
what you can do is try to avoid that from happening in the future,
by like hunting further than 60 yds from property you dont have permission to enter.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Spike

Yea call DNR. Also if he hates deer then why would he want one rotting on his land? He should be like here take this damn thing off my property. I have never had this happen before because I am good friends with both my neighbors but even if I was next to public land I would let someone track a deer. Hell I would probably help them since I obviously know my land better than they do and I would want to see what they shot as well. I still get giddy when seeing a nice sized deer.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Terasec really. My gosh let up a little. I would have gotten it after dark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.