Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever been told no?

Old 11-29-2012, 03:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

i'm with Terasec.

1. Call the adjacent landowner names because he refused permission to retrieve a deer.

2. Suggest retrieving the deer in spite of the fact that the adjacent landowner denied access to his property. Suggest sneaking on the adjacent landowners property at night to retrieve the deer after he has denied permission.

3. Suggest reporting the landowner to the DNR when there is little or no evidence he has committed a game law violation.

The wounding of that deer outside his property did not constitute a grave emergency on the part of the adjacent landowner.

Take it from an old man: Deer horns are not worth all that drama.

Flame away.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
you shot a dear 60 yds from a border you dont have access to.
and your blaming the land owner for wasting the deer?
You shot the deer, you wasted the deer, no one to blame but yourself,
what you can do is try to avoid that from happening in the future,
by like hunting further than 60 yds from property you dont have permission to enter.
I agree. You put yourself in a position for this to happen and guess what, it happened. Breaking the law doesnt write a wrong, and sneaking onto property that isn't yours to retrieve something that you have no legal rights to is simply stupid. You're asking for legal trouble regardless of what you feel is right or wrong. Instead of trying to figure out a way around the law, spend that time trying to figure out a way to work more efficiently within the law. Move your stand farther away from the border, farther down the game trail, etc. Complaining about the situation and trying to get around the law does absolutely NOTHING to keep the same problem from happening a second time. Again, work more efficiently within the law and avoid the situation entirely.

Good Luck and I hope the rest of your season goes better!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

so if i shoot a deer on my property and only take the backstraps that is "wanton" waste and i get a ticket.

Then i believe a landowner that wont let you get your deer should be charged with it. they should if they choose to let that deer go to waste.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Never been told "no" but if I was told no like you were I would probably make sure karma caught up with him. I would certainly hope the land owner that lets me use his land would tell him he can no longer hunt the property.

If it happens again you might want to get the landowner over there to try and talk to him.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
so if i shoot a deer on my property and only take the backstraps that is "wanton" waste and i get a ticket.

Then i believe a landowner that wont let you get your deer should be charged with it. they should if they choose to let that deer go to waste.
it sure seems it should be that way. But the landowner would just say he didn't kill it & it wasn't shot on his property so they might not be able to hold him responsible. I agree with you for sure. I don't understand some things either. I would let a fellow hunter get their deer, I'd probably even help them. It's a sure thing, that deer don't recognize property lines. Some people are funny about their property or some just want to be an A$$.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not much of a neighbor in my book!