Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever been told no?

Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Three of my favorite deer stands are within 75 yards of property i absolutely cannot legally access. My shots there are picked carefully: The deer i shoot there bang flop.

Do not even consider trespassing to recover a deer. Especially do not consider trespassing after the neighbor told you no.

Last edited by falcon; 11-28-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Terasec
you shot a dear 60 yds from a border you dont have access to.
and your blaming the land owner for wasting the deer?
You shot the deer, you wasted the deer, no one to blame but yourself,
what you can do is try to avoid that from happening in the future,
by like hunting further than 60 yds from property you dont have permission to enter.
<<< Douchebag.

Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission and be denied.

I'd go get it at night at-minimum.

My $.02
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Too bad this happened. For this deer, doesn't sound like much you can do. For the future, you might want to either place the shot so the deer drops nearby (shoulder?) or consider moving the stand farther away. Or other stealthier measures.

Unfortunately it seems like this is getting to be the case more and more.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tektonik87
Call DNR and ask them about it

A friend of mine ran into a similiar situation here in Indiana 2 years ago. He was told by the DNR they can't do anything about this type of thing anymore. At least not here in Indiana. 20 or so years ago, I believe they could accompany you to go get your deer. However, they must have did away with that practice. Now, the DNR cannot go onto private property unless they have probable cause that some type of crime or viloation has occured.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by emoffit
I was given a flat out "NO". He told me he hates deer, and it'll be just fine with him if it rots
If he enjoys rotting deer on his land so much id head to the nearby processing plants, if you have them, and load up a truck full of deer guts then back up to his property line and shovel it all out. Then he can have all the rotting deer carcass he wants.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Perhaps a reminder

to know where the property lines are, so you avoid trespassing.

I'm harder on me than most. I started deer hunting in swamps and you avoided the whole problem of tracking.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe he just wants your buck...

could always go in at night if you knew where it was, but sounds like a lose-lose.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

ethics- doing the right thing when no one is looking= lost deer. the way it is and the way it should be. to trespass after he told you no(and all the guys that said they would go anyway) means you don't have a right to bitch if someones on your property/place...............tony
Old 11-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Spike

I've had some time to cool off a little. I'm still pretty PO'ed, but I'm betting that deer is already in his freezer. I'd guess he didn't tag it either. His family & him have quite a reputation. Last gun season I watched one of them get popped by the game warden. He was shooting at 3 does from his truck, not wearing orange. He was on their land, but the warden didn't take exception.

I guess at least I've got that.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

If that's the case, it might be worth it to put a call into the DNR and see if they'd do a search. If he's been busted already, they know he's got a history of violating. Suspected untagged deer in the freezer would be grounds for a search if you had any sort of proof other than betting it's already in the freezer. Of course, that wouldn't do anything to help your situation, and would pretty much ensure you never get permission to track a deer onto his property. It's a tough situation to swallow, but I think your best bet is to let it go. I don't agree with those that recommend going in and getting it after dark, especially after you asked him. After getting busted himself, I'd be he's just chomping at the bit to get someone else busted as well. It's not worth it to risk the ticket and possible loss of hunting privileges depending on how hard they come down on you.

You did the right thing by backing out and asking him first, unfortunately this time it didn't work out. Maybe sometime in the future you can bust him on your land and get some proof. Karma has a way of working itself out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.