Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

commercial deer processor

Old 09-15-2003, 07:51 PM

Default commercial deer processor

How would someone go about becoming a commercial deer processor? I' m not talking about being a commercial deer processor solely but have this as apart of your business. I have searched google and I couldn' t find any info that has to do with this so I came here to ask this question. Does anyone have any links or any info that would help me with the laws when it comes to commercial deer processing? Thanks for all the help to come.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: commercial deer processor

Since they are not licensed by the health dept. all you need is the facilities to hang, butcher and store the deer till its picked up. That coupled with being able to butcher a deer rather quickly, some money to purchase neccessary equipment, ie. knives.band saws.grinders,walkin freezer, wrapping machine, and bussiness cards. Knowledge on how to make sausage. Once you acquired this then just advertise in your local paper,hunting rule book and sport shops, Word of mouth will spread if your good. Then when you get too busy you can hire some cutters. Good Luck and watch those fingers. PS I believe the only problem you may run into is the zoning, since this is a bussiness you can' t do it in a residents thats not zoned bussiness or commercial. Also you' ll have to come up with a satisfactory way to get rid of the bones and hides by hiring an outside carting co. The town is not responsible for commercial waste. Once again good luck.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not a business I would want to start up. Just think, every day of hunting season you will be tied to the job gutting and skinning deer a lot of times till midnight or later, but I' m glad some people are willing to do it.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:48 AM

jerseyhunter,
Thanks for the info.

timbercruiser,
I will be adding this to a business not have it as its own business and at this point a family member that doesn' t hunt would be willing to do it for low pay... it is above what she makes now so we both make out.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:36 PM

Drop me an email and I will help however I can. There is a lot about the business people don' t know unless they are in it. I process a number of deer each year for the public. Good luck. - CDH